The Council of the CBI is the governing body under the CBI's charter and bye-laws
Its members are:
- The president, deputy president, any vice presidents and the past six presidents
- The members of all 12 regional councils throughout the UK
- The members of the President's Committee
- The members of the SME Council
- The members of the Trade Association Council.
The Council has delegated those powers it can to the Chairmen's Committee and the CBI Board. As a result the full Council is unlikely to meet and then only to deal with those matters it cannot delegate under the CBI's charter and bye-laws. It would also only meet should there be an issue that could not be resolved within the delegated authorities or at the meetings of its constituent parts.