With over 50 years of experience, the CBI is the UK’s most effective and influential business organisation. It provides its members with the influence, insight and access they need to plan with confidence and grow.
“It is our purpose to help businesses, like yours, create a more prosperous society.”
Speaking for some 190,000 businesses that between them employ about one-third of the private sector workforce, the CBI’s members include FTSE 100 and FTSE 250 groups, mid-cap companies, small and medium sized enterprises, micro businesses, private and family owned businesses, start-ups, and trade associations.
Based in our London office we are looking for a 13-month maternity cover contract for our Director of Marketing & Products role. The role takes responsibility for the CBI’s product management and marketing & design functions including end to end product marketing.
The role sits on the CBI’s management board and the commercial board and is a key member of the commercial leadership team, reporting to the Deputy Director-General (commercial).
- Effective leadership and line management of the team of 10 people.
- Communicating a clear vision and taking responsibility for the CBI’s marketing strategy and plans and delivery
- Lead the team to develop comprehensive marketing product plans for CBI policy content with outputs designed to maximise commercial benefit and return and to reach key target audiences
- Overseeing all current marketing activities to ensure a fit for purpose approach to drive business growth and coaching and supporting the team to deliver against growth plans and key initiatives
- Ownership of the CBI brand and brand values including responsibility for how the brand is used by the internal team and external partners
- Leveraging the CBI’s content to generate and nurture membership leads for the business development team and support with effective and well-designed sales material
- Ensuring major CBI events achieve their target delegate revenue and partnership income through marketing campaign and design support
- Responsibility for the CBI’s member communications programme
- Support the implementation of a segmented CBI offer - assuming responsibility for value propositions and product offer for each segment
- Help shape and embed the CBI’s digital strategy – taking a lead and role modelling on what we expect from digital marketing and communications
- Maintain direct and active relationships with agencies and partners to deliver key projects
- Represent the CBI in external meetings with senior executives from other companies
- Represent the team and input into the CBI’s strategy at management board and commercial board
Knowledge, experience and skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced organisation managing multiple priorities
- Proven strategic marketer, with product marketing as well as marketing comms experience in a B2B environment
- Proven record of managing teams to achieve results
- Experience of devising and implementing multi-channel marketing strategies
- Understanding of the capabilities of CRMs, CMSs and email marketing tools e.g. Eloqua
- Experience of working in a small organisation, creating high-impact with constrained resource
- Communicate brilliantly and develop strong, multi- dimensional relationships at all levels, internally and externally
- Results driven with strong commercial literacy
- Interest in and some understanding of government and the policy making process
- The ability to edit and structure content with the end user and distribution channel in mind
- Proven ability to operate at a Director level and work with other Directors and the DDG
- Strong inter-personal skills, project management skills and the ability to inspire and lead
- Build credibility with both policy and commercial teams
- An ability to innovate and develop new ways to engage members and targets
- The self-motivation and drive to operate in a very self-directed way
- Ability to distil complex issues succinctly
- Be tech-savvy and able to use online solutions.
The CBI has six key behaviours that are expected across the business. For this role, we would expect the individual to role model these behaviours to the team and encourage and review the team using the behaviours as a lens. In practice for this role:
- Collaborative – proactively engages with and researches the views of other teams before making key decisions on product and marketing initiatives for the CBI.
- Takes ownership – takes responsibility for seeing opportunities for marketing and products to contribute to the CBI’s strategy and ownership for delivering against the objectives and KPIs agreed for the team.
- Agile – is quick to respond to market opportunities. Ensures that internal processes do not get in the way of you or the team delivering against plans or for the customer.
- Commercial – actively seeks to ensure the team is doing all they can to contribute to the commercial strategy including taking a lead on new opportunities.
- Innovative – brings in leading edge industry thinking to advance the team’s contribution to the CBI. Not afraid to do things differently where there are opportunities to deliver better for internal and external customers.
- Analytical – uses KPIs and other evidence to drive decision making.
How to Apply
For all applications please email your CV and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject 'Director of Marketing application'. The deadline for applications is Friday 18th August.