The Diversity and Inclusion Adviser is a critical post to enable the CBI to realise its commitment to diversity and inclusion. Reporting to the HR Director and working closely with the Exco Sponsor (Our Chief Economist), the Diversity and Inclusion networks and steering group; this role is the operational lead on our D & I strategy and is key in supporting its ongoing development and implementation. The individual will work with the leadership team, networks and other key stakeholders in delivering the D & I strategy, which covers our approach to people, membership and events.
The individual must be passionate about diversity and inclusion and be a champion for culture change and delivery at the CBI. They must be extremely organised with strong project management experience and have excellent communication and interpersonal skills and a very collaborative approach.
The role will be based in the CBI’s London offices (although other locations will be considered). Flexible working, including part-time or job share would be considered.
The key duties will include
- Continually develop, implement and drive the CBI’s Diversity and Inclusion strategy.
- Be the point of contact for all Diversity and Inclusion queries for best practice and information.
- Work closely with the HR and recruitment team on cross strategy people projects.
- Develop a strategy to increase the diversity of our membership base and work in partnership with commercial teams to deliver this.
- Partner with our Commercial and Governance teams to increase the diversity of our membership councils and events.
- Project management of the implementation of the strategy and separate workstreams.
- Collate and report data to measure success.
- Support senior staff with speaking content around D&I.
The above will be done by specifically working on the below workstreams:
The CBI and our members
- Work with commercial teams to improve the diversity of CBI membership and collaborate with diversity networks.
- Work with Governance, Commercial and Policy colleagues to increase diversity on CBI regional councils and standing committees.
- Work with regional colleagues and the events team to help create flagship diversity events and foster inclusivity at all CBI events.
- Work with policy teams to ensure that good practice on D&I is made available to CBI members.
- Support staff with the engagement of BAME and women members.
The CBI and our people
- Work with HR, senior leaders and managers to ensure a wide awareness of the D & I strategy, D&I issues and a strong understanding of inclusive leadership approaches.
- Work with the HR team to ensure development and progression pathways are put in place to support progression where barriers may occur e.g. mentoring.
- Work with the HR team to help ensure that all HR policies and practices are communicated and are consistent with good practice with respect to D&I.
- Work with the recruitment team to ensure a diverse range of candidates are attracted and recruited to the CBI – with specific targets around BAME and female appointments in management positions.
- Work with the HR team and the BAME network on a strategy to support the progression of BAME staff.
- Alongside HR (and other key stakeholders), ensure that pay gap reporting is completed, communicated and appropriate actions are put in place.
- Provide input into the Staff Forum to ensure that D&I voices and issues are heard.
- Work with the CBI diversity networks to achieve their goals and feed their input into the D & I strategy.
- Work with the HR team to capture diversity metrics to monitor trends and progress.
- Work with the Events team to increase the representation of diverse groups and women at events, including speakers.
- Work with Events to offer a diverse range of events to meet the needs of our membership base.
- Work with Events to collect and act on feedback regarding our events programme.
- Work with Events to capture relevant data to enable us to both plan and measure the diversity of attendees.
- HR Director and HR team
- Chief Economist (Exco Sponsor)
- Other Executive Committee members and members of Management Board
- Diversity steering group
- Regional Directors and their teams
- Account managers and business development teams
- Relevant policy team Directors and team members (especially People and Skills)
- CBI Diversity network leaders.
- Diversity networks across the UK
- Member company diversity experts / leaders
- Best practice exponents in academia, think tanks and member companies
Knowledge & Experience:
- Knowledge and understanding of diversity & inclusion good practice and innovative approaches.
- Experience of applying an inclusive approach to business operations in previous roles.
- Ability to inform and persuade a range of audiences on the importance and relevance of D&I issues.
- Experience of building networks and drawing on the experience of others.
- Experience in a relevant D&I related role.
- Ability to plan and organise a programme of events and activities.
- Ability to credibly engage with a senior audience and influence.
- Ability and track record of challenging limiting behaviours and approaches.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to think strategically.
- Collaborative – Listening, seeking views and sharing information; constructively challenging when appropriate.
- Taking ownership – Ensuring delivery and holding others to account; can influence, irrespective of hierarchy.
- Agile – Proactive and responsive to provide a strong member service; responding positively to shifting priorities.
- Commercial – Awareness of the wider business environment, working with Commercial teams to increase the diversity of events and membership.
- Innovative – Exploring, sharing and integrating best practice; generating new ideas and challenging a mind-set of “what we’ve always done”.
- Analytical – gathering information and using logic to analyse, problem solve, evaluate risk and make decisions.
At the CBI we recognise the advantages that flexible working patterns can bring. We’ll always fully consider flexible working and we will aim to facilitate different patterns of work wherever we can. We have great I.T. support which allows our people to work from a variety of locations, and we aim to strike the right balance between work and life.
How to apply:
Please submit your applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with 'Diversity & Inclusion Adviser (FTC)' as the subject.