Based at the CBI’s Leeds office, you will be part of the wider CBI Commercial Development and Corporate Events team - responsible for delivering a portfolio of commercial and non-commercial events of various sizes and formats across the UK. The post is offered on a full time / permanent basis.
Reporting into the Regional Events & Commercial Development Senior Manager (based in Northern Ireland) and working closely with the North East and the North West Regional Directors, you will take the lead in managing the CBI annual calendar of events in both regions. This will include initial research, pricing and planning, marketing, sponsorship sourcing and management, speaker management and negotiations with suppliers and venues.
The role will involve some travel from the Leeds office to the North East and the North West areas - at least a visit every six weeks (with an overnight stay) to each region to meet with key stakeholders including venues and sponsors; plus attendance at all flagship events in each region, including annual dinners (June and November), regional business dinners (March, July, November), and conferences (April and another tbc). Travel to London is required for induction and for team away days – c. six visits per year.
Event planning and delivery
· To lead on generation and development of the CBI events programme in North East and the North West;
· Lead responsibility for the successful delivery of CBI North East and the North West flagship events, including the Annual Dinner and regional business dinners, as well as conferences and smaller commercial and non-commercial roundtables (where identified);
· Take day to day responsibility for the high-quality resourcing and delivery of assigned events in accordance with agreed timescales and budgets;
· Ensure that every timetabled event has an ‘Event Plan’ containing a critical path with clear milestones, budget targets, delegate targets and a well-targeted marketing strategy;
· Work closely with colleagues to understand, manage and communicate pre-event briefings and materials which need to be produced for internal and external stakeholders;
· Regularly review all CBI event models to ensure that they are still delivering in terms of member and commercial value;
· Work closely with the Regional Events & Commercial Development Senior Manager as well as taking input from the North East and the North West Regional Directors to identify and shape commercial events and sponsorship opportunities within the North East and the North West regions and deliver a plan on how to exploit them;
· Identify and approach suitable partners/stakeholders, drafting detailed proposals for various partner levels, and pitching presentations to stakeholders;
· Develop creative sponsorship proposals which include attractive and competitive benefits packages;
· Account manage all sponsors and ensure all contracts, invoicing, proofs and partner evaluations are completed in line with brand and commercial guidelines;
· Develop and enhance relations with sponsor stakeholders, external suppliers, venues, competitor and other organisations, ensuring that we keep up with competitor offerings
· Plan and deliver impactful and measurable event marketing campaigns, using the appropriate channel mix
· Work closely with other colleagues to understand, manage and communicate pre-event briefings and materials which need to be produced for internal and external stakeholders;
· Ensure all large commercial events have a communications plan, identifying key marketing opportunities which can enhance CBI profile and that of our sponsors/partners;
· Maintain a strong understanding of the CBI’s Business Plan and how external factors are affecting delivery on the ground;
· Collaborate with the regional events team on projects, sharing information and supporting where required;
· Provide regular financial and event data for reporting purposes;
· Assist at and attend all events as necessary, including CBI Annual Conference in London;
· Liaise with other members of the team to ensure that an excellent standard of customer care is provided to CBI members;
· Take part in cross departmental projects as and when required.
Knowledge & Experience
What an individual must know or understand to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements
· Educated to degree standard or equivalent (pref in a business, marketing, event-management related subject)
· Able to demonstrate significant experience of event management at a senior level – at least four years delivering B2B events from concept to delivery
· Able to demonstrate experience of delivering high profile complex events for 400 plus delegates
· Excellent knowledge of the B2B events market
· Able to demonstrate excellent experience of online events solutions
· Strong working knowledge and application of using CRM, CMS and digital marketing solutions – vbe able to provide examples.
· Experience of managing budgets and expenditure
· IT literate with excellent knowledge of MS Office packages
· An interest in business and current affairs would be beneficial.
The practical actions required to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements
· Excellent communication, persuasion, negotiation and presentation skills
· Excellent project management, organisation and multi-tasking skills
· Strong written skills
· Excellent rapport building skills
· Self-motivated, solution-focussed, resilient with a positive attitude
· Strong team player
· Excellent IT skills
· An entrepreneurial individual with flair, creativity, and tenacity
· A sense of humour to counter the inevitable stress of high-profile events =
· Valid, clean driver license with access to a car.
The behaviours and characteristics required to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements
· Collaborative – Exploring, sharing and integrating best practice, constructively challenging when appropriate, empathetic and approachable
· Taking ownership – Ensuring delivery and holding others to account; can influence, irrespective of hierarchy; Resourceful, organised and plans effectively
· Agile – Proactive and responsive in addressing stakeholder needs; balances shifting priorities
· Commercial – Awareness of the wider business environment and identify opportunities to exploit; prioritises revenue generating activity whilst delivering exceptional value and service
· Innovative – generating new ideas and challenging a mind-set of “what we’ve always done”; is willing to take risks and generate new ideas
· Analytical – gathering information and using logic to analyse, problem solve, evaluate risk and make decisions, ensures data is accessible and up to date.
At the CBI we recognise the advantages that flexible working patterns can bring. We’ll always fully consider flexible working and we will aim to facilitate different patterns of work wherever we can. We have great I.T. support which allows our people to work from a variety of locations, and we aim to strike the right balance between work and life.
How to apply
Please submit your applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with 'Events Manager NE,NW' as the subject. Deadline for all applications is Tuesday 29th January.