Reporting to the Director of Corporate Communications, the CBI Head of Speechwriting and Editorial is responsible for major speeches, helping to improve the quality of written communication across the CBI and – in specific instances – penning or editing material for a limited number of ‘mission critical’ documents, within the framework of the strategic narrative of the CBI. In addition, the role will have responsibility for managing Internal Communications. The Head of Speechwriting and Editorial will have a team of one FTE.
- The Head of Speechwriting and Editorial will be one of the most senior communications professionals at the CBI and will be a key contributor to the development of the CBI strategic communications agenda
- The role holder will be expected to have frequent contact with the DG, President, Deputy Director Generals and other key senior members of the CBI team as well as CBI members and other external stakeholders
Responsibilities will include
- Producing the key speeches for the DG and President within the framework of the strategic narrative of the CBI, investing time to train up the speechwriting skills of the ‘Speechwriter’ (60%)
- Improving the quality of written communications across the CBI, upskilling colleagues through training, guidance and creating a writing ‘centre of excellence’. In specific instances the role holder will also pen or edit material for a limited number of ‘mission critical’ documents (25%)
- Managing the Speechwriter who will also have responsibility for managing internal communications (15%).
Qualities and experience needed to fulfil the role
- First class speechwriting skills with at least 2-3 years’ experience of producing speeches for senior leaders
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Excellent understanding of the political and policy landscape relevant for the CBI
- Uses team member’s strengths, emphasising support and challenge
- Role models interpersonal skills
- Delegates work clearly and effectively
- Motivates the team towards shared goals
- Facilitates the development of their team.
- Invites opinion from the team and makes timely and informed decisions
- Ensures team are motivated and supported through change.
- Adjusts plans to align to the CBI strategy.
- Consistently thinks about approaches with the view to improve
- Strives to continuously improve their own and their team’s performance.
- Sets out the team’s framework but allows freedom to develop the details
- Role models and challenges using evidence based behaviours
How to Apply
For all applications please email your CV and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject 'Speechwriting Application'. The deadline for applications is Friday 25th August.