The CBI is the UK's premier business organisation, providing a voice to policymakers for more than 190,000 firms at a regional, national and international level. Our purpose is to help business create a more prosperous society.
The CBI Leadership Programme equips senior business leaders (2-5 years from main board level) with the skills and confidence to understand and influence the external business environment. The programme was founded in 2012 following feedback from member CEOs and chairmen that these skills are highly valuable and missing from existing leadership programmes. The programme is 10 days between October and May and is comprised of modules in Westminster & Whitehall, Manchester, Brussels and Washington DC. Entry onto the programme is selective and the group is selected by a steering committee that is chaired by the CBI President.
The programme has gone from strength to strength and we are now building out other programmes under the leadership banner.
As growing the programme is a core part of the CBI’s strategy, we are looking for an individual to work with the CBI full-time for a year to manage the 2017-2018 leadership programme and expand the programme for different audiences. The role will be based in our London office. The ideal candidate has practical experience of bringing a product to market.
The role involves line management of one individual.
This year’s programme starts in October and participant selection is currently taking place. We are looking for the right individual to join us as soon as possible, starting no later than early September.
Project managing the 17/18 leadership programme, this includes:
- Designing the programme for each session – ensuring a selection of top-level speakers from the CBI and externally. Ensure each speaker is fully briefed.
- Provide full background materials for each session of the programme including core CBI content and latest reading.
- Keep the planning for each module of the programme on track – using the project team to ensure the smooth running of each session including excellent logistics.
- Manage communications and relationships with the programme participants
- Manage the programme budget
Piloting the emerging leaders programme:
- Work with the project team to design and trial a new programme for emerging leaders
- Modify and build on the pilot to create a sustainable new income stream for the CBI
- Then as above for the leadership programme
Marketing & selection for the 18/19 leadership programme:
- Agree dates for the 18/19 programme
- Work with the team to ensure that the 18/19 programme is successfully marketed to attract 30-35 appropriate candidates
- Interview potential candidates
- Facilitate the selection panel and provide appropriate background material on the candidates
Oversee the alumni network:
- Work with our corporate partner to agree 2-3 events per year for the alumni network
- Manage the project team to deliver these events
- Oversee the monthly alumni newsletter
Developing plans for other audiences and programmes
- Using the strategy agreed with the director test and build the programme for other audiences carrying out appropriate market research and building project teams to deliver as agreed with the CBI DDG- Commercial
Skills and experience
- Experience of successfully managing complex projects
- Experience of managing a product or service line including marketing planning
- Strategic awareness of challenges and opportunities facing businesses operating in the UK
- Ability to engage, influence and persuade whilst remaining sensitive to different perspectives
- Experience facilitating meetings or group training sessions
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong organisational skills
- Creative and imaginative approach to problem solving
- Personal drive, commitment and energy
- Honest and open character, respectful of others
- Managing successful teams
- Experience of or involvement in an internal or external leadership or talent management programme
The CBI has six key behaviours that are expected across the business. For this role, we would expect the individual to role model these behaviours to the team and encourage and review the team using the behaviours as a lens. In practice for this role:
- Collaborative – proactively engages with and researches the views of other teams before making key decisions on the programme.
- Takes ownership – takes responsibility for successful set-up and delivery of the programme, meeting customer expectations and financial targets.
- Agile – is quick to respond to market opportunities. Ensures that internal processes do not get in the way of you or the team delivering against plans or for the customer.
- Commercial – actively seeks to ensure the team is doing all they can to contribute to the commercial strategy including taking a lead on new opportunities.
- Innovative – brings in leading edge industry thinking to advance the team’s contribution to the CBI. Not afraid to do things differently where there are opportunities to deliver better for internal and external customers.
- Analytical – uses KPIs and other evidence to drive decision making.
How to Apply
For all applications please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject 'Leadership Programme Manager Application'. The deadline for applications is Friday 18th August.