Role Summary: 9 month contract
Based at our London office (Cannon Place) and reporting to the Head of Campaigns, the Senior Campaigns Adviser will play a key role in delivering the CBI’s political and communication strategy at a critical time as we adapt to a truly unique political environment within UK history.
The successful individual will be tasked with co-ordinating the production of high quality briefings for political meetings by identifying and agreeing topics for discussion and objectives for the meetings with senior management and policy teams and commissioning content. In addition, they will co-ordinate the production of political and economic updates for the CBI Board, internal committees and regional councils.
In so doing, the successful candidate will gain a deep understanding of the CBI’s strategic priorities and how they are positioned within the broader political and economic environment.
The role will require interaction with colleagues at all levels of the organisation – including with more junior, peer-level and senior colleagues – to ensure a smooth sign-off process so the successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
A commitment to ensuring that the Campaigns Unit is seen as a friendly and facilitating part of the organisation adding value to the work of the policy cluster is essential. As is a keen interest in and instinct around the political environment in which the CBI operates.
Knowledge & Experience
What an individual must know or understand to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Research experience and the ability to communicate complex information in a clear and impactful way
- Strong political acumen – experience of working in a political environment is advisable
- Awareness of the broad policy and political context (in the UK and internationally) in which the CBI operates
- Understanding of the policy development process and broad knowledge of the CBI’s policy priorities
- An interest in business issues is essential; prior knowledge could be an advantage but is not essential
The practical actions required in order to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements
- Communication and influencing – including excellent personal communication skills (oral and written) and the ability to plan and co-ordinate the influencing work of colleagues with key stakeholders and the media
- Campaign strategy and management – including developing objectives, planning approaches to delivery, and co-ordinating projects and messaging
- Project management – including planning, implementation (including risk management), closure and evaluation
- Customer focus – including managing relationships with key members and other stakeholders to maintain member satisfaction and the CBI’s reputation
- High personal efficiency/productivity, flexible collaboration and team-working – including ability to work flexibly on multiple projects and tasks in parallel and manage competing (and fluid) priorities and deadlines in a fast-paced, pressured environment. Willingness to support colleagues and contribute to wider CBI activities
The behaviours and characteristics required in order to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements
- Friendly and open attitude, comfortable playing a facilitating and enabling role the success of others
- Able to achieve influence without formal authority – excellent upwards manager
- Calm under pressure, patient resilient and flexible in the face of unforeseen events
- Shares information and intelligence proactively across the team
- Willing to go the extra mile when circumstances dictate
How to Apply
Please send all applications to email@example.com complete with your CV and a cover letter. Please ensure the subject is 'Senior Campaigns Adviser'. The closing date for this vacancy is Monday 3th March 2017.