Find information by filtering through business issues and content types
Insight Tax & regulation21 March 2018 -
It is often assumed that ‘tax relief’ relates to giveaways for big business. But, let’s be clear about the facts. According to HMRC’s own statistics only 3% of tax expenditures (reliefs designed to promote particular activities rather than structural elements of the tax system) result from reliefs from corporation tax. The remaining 97% are mainly made up of reliefs from personal taxes (e.g. income tax relief for pension contributions, 0% VAT on things like food and children’s clothing).
Insight Tax & regulation16 March 2018 -
This year's Spring Statement was downplayed significantly, managing expectations both with the public and business that this was not a fiscal event – and on that the Chancellor delivered.
Podcast Tax & regulation15 March 2018 -
Listen to CBI Principal Economist Megan Baddeley and Senior Economic Policy Adviser Fiona Geskes discuss the Spring Statement, and give an update on the state of the public finances, as well as the business reaction to the Chancellor’s speech.
Report Brexit & EU negotiations08 March 2018 -
The UK services sector is a great British success story. This paper sets out the 5 steps for negotiators to protect services trade through Brexit.
Insight Tax & regulation07 March 2018 -
In the Autumn of 2016 the Chancellor announced that the government will now move to a single major fiscal event each year, taking place in the Autumn. Admittedly, since then we’ve have two Budgets, but that was to be expected due to the need to synchronise the policymaking and legislative cycles.
Insight Brexit & EU negotiations02 March 2018 -
Analysis of the Prime Minister's Brexit speech on 2nd March 2018.
Report Brexit & EU negotiations06 February 2018 -
Everything you need to know about a customs union and the tough choices that lie ahead
Survey Brexit & EU negotiations30 January 2018 -
We surveyed over 300 businesses, and spoke with many more, to understand how firms are preparing for Brexit.
Report Brexit & EU negotiations22 January 2018 -
Businesses have spent the last 18 months analysing what is important about the future economic relationship between the UK and EU as negotiations move into phase two...
Insight Brexit & EU negotiations22 January 2018 -
Speaking at the University of Warwick, Carolyn says time is running out and businesses urgently need decisions to protect UK jobs and growth. Clarity, flexibility and urgency are vital to get a “good Brexit for Britain”, requiring a fundamental change in approach.