Business needs Scottish government to assist with due diligence ahead of 2014 referendum, says CBI
In his New Year message, the Director of CBI Scotland, Mr Iain McMillan, says:
“The Scottish Government is committed to publishing its White Paper on independence by the autumn of 2013.
"As part of their due diligence ahead of the referendum, many business leaders will carry out an assessment of the possible impact of Scotland leaving the United Kingdom on Scotland’s economy and their businesses.
"This gives rise to many questions and, as we go through 2013, a crucial year in this debate, undoubtedly further questions will arise. We hope very much that the White Paper will address these questions in full and provide the necessary supporting evidence.
“We have provided the Scottish Government with our initial paper 'The Scottish Government’s Independence White Paper – issues that business would like it to address' and trust that this will be of assistance to Ministers in addressing the business community’s questions.”
CBI Scotland’s paper contains multiple questions in the following subject areas:
- Creating an independent state
- The fiscal and economic position of an independent Scotland
- Issues relating to foreign affairs
- Currency and financial oversight
- The European Union and foreign affairs
- Pensions and social security
- Economics, taxation and non-domestic rates
- Labour market, employment policy and health and safety
- Competition policy
- Corporate governance and takeovers
- Broadcasting and telecommunications
- Aviation and rail
- Intellectual property rights and copyright
- Data protection
- Research and innovation
- Export finance, trade and business support