The recommendations cover the end-to-end process for governing, planning and procuring transport infrastructure projects, including:
Governance and regulation
- Ensure clear governance and an enabling financial regulatory environment.
- Ensure the government champions infrastructure with a pro-growth, pro-productivity message.
- Clarify the roles and responsibilities of different government departments and non-governmental bodies in finance and delivery.
- Ensure the financial regulatory environment is balanced so that banks, insurers and fund managers can continue to invest.
Project pipelines and delivery
- Create a reformed project pipeline with prioritisation; revitalise project delivery models; and improve the procurement process with early industry engagement.
- Explore a range of long-term funding options to ensure an improvement in the number of projects in the pipeline currently being built.
- Recognise the longer-term funding challenges, be prepared to consider difficult issues and explore a range of options to tackle them.
The CBI will continue to lobby on behalf of members to ensure the UK's transport infrastructure pipeline can be unblocked, and more vital projects can receive funding.