With over two thirds of firms reporting unfilled digital skills vacancies, your business could be one of the majority that has a skills gap. Demand already outstrips supply and is set to skyrocket, with 95% businesses saying they’ll need more digital skills in the next few years. The CBI’s latest report identifies the key ways for businesses to grow their digital talent pool – but also calls on government to play its part to make the UK a leading destination for digital talent.
In fact, businesses often report that accessing digital skills is one of their biggest barriers to digital transformation, growth and competitiveness. They want to create a shared understanding of what ‘digital skills’ really are, and how they can build the digital skills they need within their workforce to protect their business and grow in today’s tight labour market.
The good news is that 93% of businesses are already acting to address their rapidly accelerating digital skills needs. But it’s no longer enough to improve recruitment practices or becoming more attractive to the best talent. The majority of businesses are fishing in the same pool for talent – and the pool is still small. It’s time for businesses and government to grow the talent pool.
Our new report - Delivering skills for the new economy - researched in partnership with Tata Consultancy Services, plays a key role in our campaign to drive change on this important issue for members. It has many of the answers for businesses looking to overcome their digital skills challenges and provides key evidence on the actions government must take to close the gap.
If your business has not yet mapped out its approach to addressing digital skills – this report can help. We’ve spoken to businesses leading the way and identified five key ways that firms can grow their digital talent pool:
- Craft a long-term digital vision;
- Make digital skills a company-wide initiative;
- Collaborate externally, for example with your supply chain or local SMEs;
- Inspire and support the next generation by extending relationships with education providers and using apprenticeships as a route into digital roles;
- Harness your existing talent by looking for hidden skills within your workforce and retraining at work.
But business can’t do this alone. Government at all levels has a huge role to play in creating a world-leading digital talent pool in the UK.
We’ve called government to:
- Ramp up coordination of regional digital skills; initiatives and better link local digital skills demand and supply
- Build digital understanding into all government retraining schemes – and include targeted support for software engineering and data analytics skills;
- Set an ambitious goal for 100% of the workforce to have basic digital skills by 2025.
Ultimately when work business and government work together, great things can happen.
Get started. Download the full report.
- Are digital skills challenges impacting your business? Share your story with the CBI to help us drive change.
- Case studies: look at how others have improved their digital skills.
In partnership with Tata Consultancy Services.