The European Commission published its ‘Fit for 55’ legislative package in mid-July, with the aim of reducing net greenhouse gas emissions by at least 55% by 2030, compared to 1990 levels.
Ensuring EU policies are in line with climate goals
The package includes 13 legislative proposals and policy initiatives which aim to provide a coherent and balanced framework for reaching the EU's climate objectives.
In a nutshell, these proposals include:
- the application of emissions trading to new sectors and a tightening of the existing EU Emissions Trading System
- increased use of renewable energy
- greater energy efficiency
- a faster roll-out of low emission transport modes
- an alignment of taxation policies with the European Green Deal objectives
- measures to prevent carbon leakage via a carbon border tax
- tools to preserve and grow natural carbon sinks.
From targeting carbon leakage to promoting renewable energy: a spotlight on the key proposals
Revision of the EU Emissions Trading System (ETS)
- The ETS puts a price on carbon and lowers the cap on