The Associate Director, Sales – Midlands is a dual role. The position is line managed by the West Midlands Regional Director with a strong functional reporting line to the CBI’s Commercial Director in London. Your time will be split on an approximate 40/60 basis, with 40% of time committed to acting as an Associate Director for West Midlands and 60% of time committed to working with the CBI’s Commercial Director responsible for bringing new members into the CBI.
We are looking for a high-performing commercial and sales-oriented Associate Director of Sales to help us meet our ambitious customer acquisition and revenue growth objectives. You will be responsible for researching, developing, managing and providing your own administrative support for a pipeline of target companies, as well as implementing key growth sales strategies, tactics and action plans required to help achieve our membership income targets.
The Associate Director role will also have responsibility for managing a small portfolio (approx. 15) of mid to high value members, making sure they are highly satisfied with the service being delivered - including developing and delivering plans for both the retention and engagement of those members in line with the CBI proposition and in collaboration with colleagues who will bring specialist skills and experience to the delivery of the proposition.
A core part of this role will be to work alongside and collaborate with colleagues in the London and South, Regions and Nations, and Sector teams in the recruitment and on-boarding of new Members. The account management aspect of this role is designed to help ensure good contact with Members and facilitate a true understanding of the membership proposition behind companies becoming and remaining CBI members.
- New Member acquisition
- Identifying and reporting on business opportunities in target markets
- Whilst reporting to the West Midlands Regional Director sixty percent of your time will be part of a newly formed sales team – working closely with the Commercial Director
- Ensuring high quality approaches, pitches and proposals are used with targets
- Utilise your understanding of the political and economic environment to attract and recruit new members to engage in CBI activity
- Demonstrating and embedding skills, processes and behaviours to deliver a truly commercial team.
- Understand and articulate the needs of specific sectors of relevance to the regional economy and create solutions to support the development of these sectors
- Account management for a portfolio of CBI members
- Liaison with Regions and London to support your account management delivery
- Develop networks within the regional business community, maintaining the profile of the CBI
- Work with the Regional Director and team to provide a compelling membership offer to existing and potential CBI members
- Support policy colleagues with case studies from the membership that demonstrate how policy impacts competitiveness, helping CBI influence the debate
- Facilitate events / roundtables / lunches/ briefing focused on regional policy issues of relevance to CBI members and effectively advocate the CBI position.
- Grow membership subscription income by an agreed target for 2019 (pro-rata) and 2020 (£125k new sales).
- Recruit companies in excess of £15k membership fee across the ten key sectors identified as priorities within the CBI’s growth strategy.
- Support membership retention by delivering 95% retention for your portfolio of members.
Knowledge and experience
What an individual must know or understand to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and sell and communicate to all levels of the organisation, especially Board Chairs and Chief Executive Officers, and in businesses in FTSE 350 / large privately held groups across ten key sectors
- Effectively communicate the value proposition through proposals and presentations
- Ability to drive and innovate the sales process from plan to close
- Ability to operate in both a line and matrix structure
- Drive the usage of CRM and other sales applications and ensure adherence to sales process
- Excellent listening, negotiation and presentation skills
- Willing and able to provide own administrative support
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- BA/BS degree or equivalent
- Have an avid interest in current affairs, being highly alert to activities within the business and political arena.
- Sales experience in a professional services environment, membership organisation, or Not for Profit of a similar size to the CBI £20m+
- Innovation in sales, especially using technology
- CRM development experience
- A full driving licence.
The behaviours and characteristics required to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements.
- Collaborative – Listening, seeking views and sharing information; constructively challenging when appropriate
- Taking ownership – Ensuring delivery and holding others to account; can influence, irrespective of hierarchy
- Agile – Proactive and responsive to provide a strong member service; responding positively to shifting priorities
- Commercial – Awareness of the wider business environment
- Innovative – Exploring, sharing and integrating best practice; generating new ideas and challenging a mind-set of “what we’ve always done”
- Analytical – gathering information and using logic to analyse, problem solve, evaluate risk and make decisions.
Equal opportunity employer
Be you! An environment where everyone feels they belong.
Our aim is to create prosperity for all. To do that well, we need a workforce that is more representative of the businesses we serve!
We know through experience that different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds create a stronger and more innovative work environment that delivers better results. To support an inclusive environment where employees feel empowered to share their experiences and ideas, we’ve encouraged the creation of a variety of Employee Resource Groups - Women, LGBT+, BAME and Working Families.
We recognise the many benefits flexible working can bring. Many of our employees work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking and will accommodate where possible.
How to apply
Please submit your CV and cover letter to email@example.com with 'Associate Sales Director' as the subject.