Closing date: 13 August 2021
The CBI is Britain's voice of business. We have recently launched our ‘Seize the Moment’ strategy which sets out an ambitious programme of work through which we will shape the future economy, inspire and enable members to thrive, speak for all business, deliver successful ventures and develop a more dynamic CBI.
The strategy identifies six business-led opportunities – prizes – that the UK could capture by 2030, which are worth around £700 billion for the UK:
- A decarbonised economy, winning the global race to net-zero
- An innovation economy, breakthrough ideas and technologies, adopted by all
- A globalised economy, making the UK a trading powerhouse
- A regionally thriving economy, ensuring every region and nation has distinctive, global strengths
- An inclusive economy, where work enables all talent to progress
- A healthier nation, with health the foundation of wellbeing and economic growth.
It is an exciting time to join the CBI. Do you want to be part of a once-in-a-generation opportunity to reset the UK economy?
The Business Development Director – CBI Ventures is a new role that will be responsible for growing our non-membership income stream at the CBI through innovation and partnerships. Successful growth of this income stream will enable us to reinvest in the Seize the Moment strategy and the impact we can deliver for our members.
We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from all regardless of age, sexuality, socio-economic background, disability, ethnicity, gender, religion, or beliefs. We are committed to building a culture of belonging and inclusion. Please let us know if you require any flexibility or support to accommodate your needs during the recruitment process or if awarded the role.
Key Responsibilities of The Role
- Grow existing venture business lines building on the success of CBI Economics work to date
- Expand the ventures portfolio by identifying new streams, balancing profit and strategic alignment
- Ensure ventures activities deliver operationally, mitigating risks and protecting the CBI’s reputation
- Provide strategic commercial and product leadership
- Work with the Director of Membership Proposition to drive innovation within the CBI
- Lead the Ventures team and collaborate with other members of the leadership team to make a full and active contribution to all aspects of CBI’s work, maintaining a degree of flexibility, enabling the organisation to make the most of new and unexpected opportunities
Desirable Knowledge and Experience
- Experience of developing and delivering new business activities and growing them successfully
- Relevant commercial leadership demonstrating ability to engage B2B customers
- Astute commercial leader, balancing profit and risk at all times
- Experience acting as guardian of brand and reputation
- Experience of managing a P&L / cashflow independently
- Experience of developing different business models and competitive pricing
- Understanding of current challenges and opportunities facing UK business
- Proven ability to drive innovative and forward thinking, challenging a mindset of ‘what we have always done’
Read the full job description and apply here
Why Join The CBI?
We’ll provide you with unparalleled opportunities for development and growth. We also offer an impressive range of benefits including a competitive salary and pension contribution, a flexible benefits scheme including health, wealth and lifestyle options, access to mental health professionals and subsidised private health care, flexible working, enhanced parental leave pay, maternity and shared parental leave, volunteering leave and a complementary moving day.
To apply, you will need to submit a current CV and a cover letter highlighting your skills and experience and how they align to the role.