The CBI is the UK’s leading business membership organisation and lobbies government to create a successful business environment which is critical to driving economic growth and prosperity for all. The CBI is headquartered in London and has regional offices in the following locations – Belfast, Birmingham, Cardiff, Exeter, Glasgow, Leeds, Newcastle, Newmarket and Nottingham. The CBI employs over 200 staff.
Within the CBI’s Business Development team, there is an exciting opportunity to help drive the ambitious growth plans of the business. This team uses the CBI’s political and economic intelligence to create compelling new membership offers which result in more businesses joining the CBI.
Based in London, the Business Development Executive will play a key role in our growth strategy in the UK. The CBI Business Development team is primarily responsible for researching and understanding the needs of potential members (targets) of the CBI and contacting them to secure sales meetings for CBI’s Sales Leads, in order to drive the growth of our membership.
Reporting to the Head of Commercial Operations the individual will work closely with colleagues in the team to grow and deepen the CBI’s membership base across the UK.
- Interrogate the CBI’s CRM system and other business databases to generate lists of new business leads (targets).
- Help to qualify potential targets by researching and answering a pre-determined set of questions for each company (ensure this information is entered on to the CRM system).
- Agree which targets to prioritise with the Business Development Manager and sometimes be required to draft focused email approaches for the Commercial Director to send, using a variety of appropriate formats and styles.
- Follow up written approaches via the telephone; to persuasively secure sales meetings for the Commercial Director and other CBI colleagues with C suite individuals.
- Know the CBI’s top targets and be proactive in suggesting opportunities to engage with them, by discussing possible hooks for membership with the Business Development Manager, identify these ‘hooks’ by researching news stories, spotting alignment with CBI policy interests, events etc.
- Research corporate websites, social media and industry databases and using CBI sectoral templates to prepare sales briefings for the Commercial Director and other CBI colleagues to use in sales meetings.
- Work collaboratively with team colleagues to achieve overall team weekly and annual sales approaches and meeting targets.
- Report on, and own, individual opportunity pipelines and targets.
- Maintain and drive effective use of CRM data.
- Utilise data effectively across the team to prioritise work, whether targeting or sharing collateral for other colleagues to use.
- Contribute to an open and collaborative culture in the BD team by sharing best practice.
Knowledge and experience
What an individual must know or understand to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements.
- Self-motivated and target driven.
- Enthusiastic and passionate about successfully achieving targets (including making calls and converting sales leads to sales meetings).
- First class interpersonal skills (verbal and written) with a confident telephone manner; gained from working in B2B telesales, sales or business development target driven environments.
- Tenacious at getting past gatekeepers.
- Effective team worker with the ability to also work independently.
- Strong relationship building skills.
- Excellent research skills.
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Ability to prioritise with good time management skills.
- Good organisational skills – able to complete sales administration in a timely manner by paying close attention to detail.
- Good IT skills.
- Interest in the business environment.
- Some experience of CRM databases would be useful but not essential as training provided.
The behaviours and characteristics required to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements.
- Collaborative – Listening, seeking views and sharing information; constructively challenging when appropriate.
- Taking ownership – Ensuring delivery and holding others to account; can influence, irrespective of hierarchy.
- Agile – Proactive and responsive to provide a strong member service; responding positively to shifting priorities.
- Commercial – Awareness of the wider business environment.
- Innovative – Exploring, sharing and integrating best practice; generating new ideas and challenging a mind-set of “what we’ve always done”
- Analytical – gathering information and using logic to analyse, problem solve, evaluate risk and make decisions
Equal opportunity employer
Be you! An environment where everyone feels they belong.
Our aim is to create prosperity for all. To do that well, we need a workforce that is more representative of the businesses we serve!
We know through experience that different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds create a stronger and more innovative work environment that delivers better results. To support an inclusive environment where employees feel empowered to share their experiences and ideas, we’ve encouraged the creation of a variety of Employee Resource Groups - Women, LGBT+, BAME and Working Families.
We recognise the many benefits flexible working can bring. Many of our employees work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking and will accommodate where possible.
How to apply
Please submit your CV and cover letter to email@example.com with 'Business Development Executive' as the subject.