Closing date: 23 July 2021
The CBI is Britain's voice of business. We have recently launched our ‘Seize the Moment’ strategy which sets out an ambitious programme of work through which we will shape the future economy, inspire and enable members to thrive, speak for all business, deliver successful ventures and develop a more dynamic CBI.
The strategy identifies six business-led opportunities – prizes – that the UK could capture by 2030, which are worth around £700 billion for the UK:
- A decarbonised economy, winning the global race to net-zero
- An innovation economy, breakthrough ideas and technologies, adopted by all
- A globalised economy, making the UK a trading powerhouse
- A regionally thriving economy, ensuring every region and nation has distinctive, global strengths
- An inclusive economy, where work enables all talent to progress
- A healthier nation, with health the foundation of wellbeing and economic growth.
It is an exciting time to join the CBI. Do you want to be part of a once-in-a-generation opportunity to reset the UK economy?
The new role of Director, CBI Policy Unit will lead the recently formed CBI Policy Unit - an agile and responsive team of policy advisors of different seniorities, working together to respond to the priorities and agenda of the time, as well as holding content knowledge on key pillars of the membership proposition that are not driven by themes. The challenge and opportunity for the Director, CBI Policy Unit will be to lead, inspire, motivate and manage a team of individuals to anticipate and respond to the UK policy context, working collaboratively with colleagues running the Programme teams to ensure efficient working and the most strategic and impactful use of the team’s collective capacity.
We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from all regardless of age, sexuality, socio-economic background, disability, ethnicity, gender, religion, or beliefs. We are committed to building a culture of belonging and inclusion. Please let us know if you require any flexibility or support to accommodate your needs during the recruitment process or if awarded the role.
Key Responsibilities of The Role
- Identify the key policy priorities and actions requiring CBI focus on a quarterly basis and ensure those priorities are resourced by the team
- Influence public policy in the interest of CBI members and business, aligned with the priorities above
- Ensure cross-cutting policy areas and enablers of progress across themes are well supported and knowledge developed
- Represent CBI at a senior level through key government and stakeholder relationships as well as on public platforms
- Support member engagement and communications in key policy areas
- Lead a direct team, and work effectively with colleagues, to deliver the outputs identified, learning and adapting approach over time
- Collaborate with other members of the leadership team to make a full and active contribution to all aspects of CBI’s work, maintaining a degree of flexibility, enabling the organisation to make the most of new and unexpected opportunities
Desirable Knowledge and Experience
- Professional understanding of how to influence UK policy development
- Good grasp of challenges and opportunities facing businesses operating in the UK
- Experience of senior policy development or influence
- Strong understanding of theories of change that drive outcomes through business and government engagement
- Strong knowledge of the regional, national and international economic and political climate
- Experience working in a matrix model with influence and delivery through both line and programme management
- Proven ability to drive innovative and forward thinking, challenging a mindset of ‘what we have always done’
- Demonstrated intellectual interest and curiosity
Read the full job description and apply here
Why Join The CBI?
We’ll provide you with unparalleled opportunities for development and growth. We also offer an impressive range of benefits including a competitive salary and pension contribution, a flexible benefits scheme including health, wealth and lifestyle options, access to mental health professionals and subsidised private health care, flexible working, enhanced parental leave pay, maternity and shared parental leave, volunteering leave and a complementary moving day.
To apply, you will need to submit a current CV and a cover letter highlighting your skills and experience and how they align to the role.