Salary – Competitive
Department – Events
Process – Cover letter and C.V.
Deadline – 29 September 2021
Based at the CBI’s East of England office in Newmarket, you will be part of the wider CBI (Confederation of British Industry) Events and Commercial Partnerships team - responsible for delivering a portfolio of commercial and non-commercial events of assorted sizes and formats – both in-person and digital.
Reporting to the Head of Events, (based in London) and working closely with the East of England Regional Director, you will take the lead in managing the CBI East of England annual calendar of events, and provide support to other members of the Events team, as required. This will include initial research, pricing and planning, marketing, sponsorship sourcing and management, speaker management and negotiations with suppliers and venues. The role will involve some travel and is offered on a temporary six-month contract, on a full-time basis.
Event planning and delivery
- To lead on generation and development of the CBI events programme in East of England for both in-person and digital events.
- Lead responsibility for the successful delivery of CBI East of England events, including dinners, lunches, webinars, and smaller roundtable discussions.
- Take day to day responsibility for the delivery of assigned events in accordance with agreed timescales and budgets.
- Source, approach, and secure internal and external speakers for events and provide briefings, pre and post-event assistance.
- Ensure that every timetabled event has an Event Plan containing a critical path with clear milestones, budget targets, delegate targets and a well-targeted marketing strategy
- Work closely with colleagues to understand, manage, and communicate pre-event briefings and materials which need to be produced for internal and external stakeholders;
- Regularly review all CBI event models to ensure that they are still delivering in terms of member and commercial value;
Work closely with the sponsorship and events teams as well as taking input from Regional Directors to identify commercial events and sponsorship opportunities within the East of England region and deliver a plan on how to exploit them.
- Identify and approach suitable partners/stakeholders, drafting proposals for various partner levels, and pitching presentations to stakeholders;
- Develop creative sponsorship proposals which include attractive and competitive benefits packages;
- Account manage all sponsors and ensure all contracts, invoicing, proofs, and partner evaluations are completed in line with brand and commercial guidelines;
- Develop and enhance relations with sponsor stakeholders, external suppliers, venues, competitor, and other organisations, ensuring that we keep up with competitor offerings
- Plan and deliver impactful and measurable event marketing campaigns, using the appropriate channel mix and the designated events software packages (Click Dimensions, Dynamics CRM)
- Write interesting and thought-provoking copy for invitations and CBI event website listings, encouraging members to book spaces.
- Use the Click Dimensions to create, manage, and deliver post event communications to event attendees
- Work closely with other colleagues to understand, manage, and communicate pre-event briefings and materials which need to be produced for internal and external stakeholders;
- Write copy for the regional event update highlighting upcoming events and encouraging awareness of sponsorship opportunities.
- Create marketing lists using our CRM, ensuring the correct contacts are targeted for the right events.
- Ensure all large commercial events have a communications plan, identifying key marketing opportunities which can enhance CBI profile and that of our sponsors/partners;
- Maintain a strong understanding of the CBI’s Business Plan and how external factors are affecting delivery on the ground;
- Collaborate with the regional events team on projects, sharing information and supporting where required;
- Provide regular financial and event data for reporting purposes;
- Assist at and attend all events as necessary, both in the region and potentially UK wide
- Liaise with other members of the team to ensure that an excellent standard of customer care is provided to CBI members;
- Take part in cross-departmental projects as and when required.
Direct Reports: NA
Financial Budget: Income targets will be set and agreed with the individual
Internal Contacts: Events and commercial partnerships team, campaign, membership, marketing and policy teams
External Contacts: CBI members, government officials, think tanks and other policy influencers as part of the events planning process
Knowledge & Experience
What an individual must know or understand to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements
- Educated to degree standard or equivalent level of experience (preferably in a business, marketing, event-management related subject)
- Able to demonstrate considerable experience of event management
- Able to demonstrate experience of delivering high profile complex events
- Excellent knowledge of the B2B events market
- Able to demonstrate excellent experience of online events solutions
- Strong working knowledge and application of using CRM, CMS, and digital marketing solutions
- Experience of managing budgets and expenditure
- IT literate with strong knowledge of MS Office packages (MS Project is desirable)
- An interest in business and current affairs would be beneficial.
The practical actions required to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements
- Excellent communication, persuasion, negotiation, and presentation skills
- Strong written skills
- Excellent rapport building skills
- Self-motivated, solution-focussed, resilient with a positive attitude
- Strong organisational and multi-tasking skills
- Strong team player
- Excellent IT skills
- An entrepreneurial individual with flair, creativity, and tenacity
- A sense of humour to counter the inevitable stress of high-profile events
- Occasional travel to London and other regions in the UK will be required
- Valid, clean driver license with access to a car if required.
The behaviours and characteristics required to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements
- Collaborative – Exploring, sharing, and integrating best practice, constructively challenging when appropriate, empathetic, and approachable
- Taking ownership – Ensuring delivery and holding others to account; can influence, irrespective of hierarchy; Resourceful, organised and plans effectively
- Agile – Proactive and responsive in addressing stakeholder needs; balances shifting priorities
- Commercial – Awareness of the wider business environment and identify opportunities to exploit; prioritises revenue generating activity whilst delivering exceptional value and service
- Innovative – generating new ideas and challenging a mind-set of “what we’ve always done;” is willing to take risks and generate new ideas
- Analytical – gathering information and using logic to analyse, problem solve, evaluate risk, and make decisions, ensures data is accessible and up to date.
The CBI encourages applications from all people irrespective of your background or experience and we want everyone to bring their whole self to work. If you feel that the CBI should be made aware of anything that may impact your ability to complete a task or your interview, then please do let us know prior to your interview process so we can make any reasonable adjustments that may be necessary.
Diversity and Inclusion
At the CBI, we are committed to attracting diverse talent that represents the society we live in.
We encourage applications from all regardless of age, sexuality, socio-economic background, disability, ethnicity, gender, religion, or beliefs. We are committed to building a culture of belonging and inclusion and this is reflected in our policies, practices, and internal employee-led networks and supported by our executive leadership team.
We are a family friendly organisation, and we encourage flexible working as we want our employees to achieve a healthy work-life balance. Currently our employees are working flexibly (formally and informally) and remotely due to COVID-19, but we offer the opportunity to work in our offices in line with government guidance if somebody should need to.
Our employee-led networks are: Race and Ethnicity Equality, LGBT + Network, Women’s and Working Families and we have qualified Mental Health First Aiders who support our employees in having good mental health.
To apply press here