Vacancy Type: Permanent (3 days a week)
Based at the CBI’s Leeds office, you will be part of the wider CBI Commercial Development and Corporate Events team - responsible for delivering a portfolio of commercial and non-commercial events of various sizes and formats across the UK. The post is offered on a part time (3-days per week) / permanent basis.
Reporting into the Regional Events & Commercial Development Senior Manager (based in Northern Ireland) and working closely with the Yorkshire and the Humber Regional Director, you will take the lead in managing the CBI annual calendar of events in the Yorkshire and the Humber region. This will include initial research, pricing and planning, marketing, sponsorship sourcing and management, speaker management and negotiations with suppliers and venues.
The role will involve some travel and attendance at events in the region – with some early mornings or late evenings expected. Travel to London is also required for induction and team away days.
Event planning and delivery
- To lead on generation and development of the CBI events programme in Yorkshire and the Humber
- Lead responsibility for the successful delivery of CBI Yorkshire and the Humber flagship events, including the Annual Dinner and a regional business dinner, as well as smaller commercial and non-commercial roundtables (where identified)
- Take day to day responsibility for the high-quality resourcing and delivery of assigned events in accordance with agreed timescales and budgets
- Ensure that every timetabled event has an ‘Event Plan’ containing a critical path with clear milestones, budget targets, delegate targets and a well-targeted marketing strategy
- Work closely with colleagues to understand, manage and communicate pre-event briefings and materials which need to be produced for internal and external stakeholders
- Regularly review all CBI event models to ensure that they are still delivering in terms of member and commercial value.
- Work closely with the Regional Events & Commercial Development Senior Manager as well as taking input from the Yorkshire and the Humber Regional Director to identify and shape commercial events and sponsorship opportunities within the Yorkshire and the Humber region and deliver a plan on how to exploit them
- Identify and approach suitable partners/stakeholders, drafting detailed proposals for various partner levels, and pitching presentations to stakeholders
- Develop creative sponsorship proposals which include attractive and competitive benefits packages
- Account manage all sponsors and ensure all contracts, invoicing, proofs and partner evaluations are completed in line with brand and commercial guidelines (as required)
- Develop and enhance relations with sponsor stakeholders, external suppliers, venues, competitor and other organisations, ensuring that we keep up with competitor offerings.
- Plan and deliver impactful and measurable event marketing campaigns, using the appropriate channel mix
- Work closely with other colleagues to understand, manage and communicate pre-event briefings and materials which need to be produced for internal and external stakeholders
- Ensure all large commercial events have a communications plan, identifying key marketing opportunities which can enhance CBI profile and that of our sponsors/partners.
- Maintain a strong understanding of the CBI’s Business Plan and how external factors are affecting delivery on the ground
- Collaborate with the regional events team on projects, sharing information and supporting where required
- Provide regular financial and event data for reporting purposes
- Assist at and attend all events as necessary, including CBI Annual Conference in London;
- Liaise with other members of the team to ensure that an excellent standard of customer care is provided to CBI members
- Take part in cross departmental projects as and when required.
Knowledge & Experience
What an individual must know or understand to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements
- Educated to degree standard or equivalent (pref in a business, marketing, event-management related subject)
- Able to demonstrate significant experience of event management at a senior level – at least four years delivering B2B events from concept to delivery
- Able to demonstrate experience of delivering high profile complex events for 400 plus delegates
- Excellent knowledge of the B2B events market
- Able to demonstrate excellent experience of online events solutions
- Strong working knowledge and application of using CRM, CMS and digital marketing solutions – be able to provide examples
- Experience of managing budgets and expenditure
- IT literate with excellent knowledge of MS Office packages
- An interest in business and current affairs would be beneficial.
The practical actions required to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements
- Excellent communication, persuasion, negotiation and presentation skills
- Excellent project management, organisation and multi-tasking skills
- Strong written skills
- Excellent rapport building skills
- Self-motivated, solution-focussed, resilient with a positive attitude
- Strong team player
- Excellent IT skills
- An entrepreneurial individual with flair, creativity, and tenacity
- A sense of humour to counter the inevitable stress of high-profile events
- You will hold a valid UK Driver License and have access to a car
The behaviours and characteristics required to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements
- Collaborative – Listening, seeking views and sharing information; constructively challenging when appropriate.
- Taking ownership – Ensuring delivery and holding others to account; can influence, irrespective of hierarchy.
- Agile – Proactive and responsive to provide a strong member service; responding positively to shifting priorities.
- Commercial – Awareness of the wider business environment.
- Innovative – Exploring, sharing and integrating best practice; generating new ideas and challenging a mind-set of “what we’ve always done”
- Analytical – gathering information and using logic to analyse, problem solve, evaluate risk and make decisions
Equal Opportunity Employer
Be You! Where everyone feels they can belong
We are the voice to over 190,000 businesses, large and small across the UK. Together, they employ nearly 7 million people!
Our aim is to create prosperity for all! To do that well, we need a workforce that is more representative of the businesses we serve!
We know through experience that different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds create a stronger and more innovative work environment that delivers better results. To support an inclusive environment where employees feel empowered to share their experiences and ideas, we’ve encouraged the creation of a variety of Employee Resource Groups - Women, LGBT+, BAME and Working Families.
We recognise the many benefits flexible working can bring. Many of our employees work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking and will accommodate where possible.
How to apply
Please submit your CV & cover letter to email@example.com with 'Events Manager' as the subject.