Reporting to the Deputy Director General, the CBI Head of Speechwriting and Editorial is responsible for major speeches, helping to improve the quality of written communication across the CBI and – in specific instances – penning or editing material for a limited number of ‘mission critical’ documents, within the framework of the strategic narrative of the CBI. In addition, the role will have responsibility for Business Voice and Internal Communications. The Head of Speechwriting and Editorial will manage a team of three – one full time and two part time.
- The Head of Speechwriting and Editorial will be one of the most senior communications professionals at the CBI and will be a key contributor to the development of the CBI strategic communications agenda.
- The role holder will be expected to have frequent contact with the DG, President, Deputy Director Generals and other key senior members of the CBI team as well as CBI members and other external stakeholders.
Responsibilities will include
- Producing the key speeches for the DG and President within the framework of the strategic narrative of the CBI, investing time to train up the speechwriting skills of the ‘Speechwriter and Internal Communications Adviser’ (60%).
- Improving the quality of written communications across the CBI, upskilling colleagues through training, guidance and creating a writing ‘centre of excellence’. In specific instances the role holder will also pen or edit material for a limited number of ‘mission critical’ documents (15%).
- Managing a Speechwriter, Internal Communications Adviser and Voice Editor (primarily responsible for authoring a series of editorials from members’ perspectives. (25%).
Qualities and experience needed to fulfil the role
- First class speechwriting skills with at least five years’ experience of producing speeches for senior leaders.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent.
- Excellent understanding of the political and policy landscape relevant for the CBI.
The behaviours and characteristics required to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements.
- Uses team member’s strengths, emphasising support and challenge.
- Role models interpersonal skills.
- Taking ownership;
- Delegates work clearly and effectively.
- Motivates the team towards shared goals.
- Facilitates the development of their team.
- Invites opinion from the team and makes timely and informed decisions.
- Ensures team are motivated and supported through change.
- Adjusts plans to align to the CBI strategy.
- Consistently thinks about approaches with the view to improve.
- Strives to continuously improve their own and their team’s performance.
- Sets out the team’s framework but allows freedom to develop the details.
- Role models and challenges using evidence-based behaviours.
At the CBI we recognise the advantages that flexible working patterns can bring. We’ll always fully consider flexible working and we will aim to facilitate different patterns of work wherever we can. We have great I.T. support which allows our people to work from a variety of locations, and we aim to strike the right balance between work and life.
How to apply
Please submit your CV & Cover Letter to email@example.com with 'Head of Speech' as the subject.