The CBI is the UK’s leading business membership organisation. We provide our members with the influence, insight and access they need to plan ahead with confidence and grow and represent their views as we work with policymakers to deliver a healthy environment for businesses to succeed, create jobs and ultimately, drive economic growth and prosperity.
The Leadership Programmes team sits as part of the Commercial directorate and is responsible for the sales, marketing, development and delivery of the CBI’s suite of executive development programmes. The programmes are aimed at senior managers and executives looking to gain insight into the external policy agenda, an understanding of economic, political and social environment, as well as developing influencing and stakeholder management skills. The programmes are income-generating and the team has an ambitious growth plan for the coming years, including the development of new offerings that will translate the CBI’s policy content into products suitable for the commercial audience.
The executive role will report into the Head of Leadership Programmes (HoLP). It is unique in the opportunities it presents for working across the breadth of the CBI areas, engaging with senior stakeholders internally and within member organisations, government and civil service positions, and supporting the facilitation of sessions in the UK and internationally. The role holder will have a range of responsibilities including marketing and sales, content development, project management and communications, and a significant level of responsibility together with opportunities to lead and take initiative.
Marketing and Sales
- Manage the relationship with the Marketing team, working with them to develop and deliver the marketing strategy/plan, including creation of marketing mailing lists, copy for marketing materials.
- Ownership of the programme’s social media presence via Twitter/Linkedin and liaison with CBI Social Media team for wider promotion of the programmes.
- Building and maintaining relationships with CBI members to facilitate the sales process and ensuring these relationships are maintained to ensure future sales opportunities are maximised.
- Follow up on sales leads, having conversations with prospective participants and articulating the objectives and business benefits of participating in the programmes, to secure sales.
- Creating/maintaining leads and sales trackers, ensuring CRM is used effectively and kept up to date.
- Track the success of our marketing efforts, reporting on key statistics including commercial returns and customer feedback, driving data-driven enhancements.
- Support the HoLP with internal communications to raise the profile of the programmes internally, engaging colleagues to understand and support the programmes.
- Develop sales and marketing support materials / toolkits for colleagues in account and regional teams and share via TeamSpace, updating regularly.
Programme Development and Support
- Undertake content scoping, research and development of themes, modules and speaker suggestions.
- Contribute to the development of module content, including briefing packs and presentations.
- Liaise with relevant teams, including Campaigns, on the status of political invites for each programme, proactively managing the invite/booking process from start to finish.
- Take ownership for communications for programme participants, including selection process, joining instructions, logistical updates and programme module briefings.
- Where agreed with HoLP, attend modules to ensure smooth operation, act as a scribe and gain experience of module content / to observe facilitation best practices.
- Engage participants in conversations about their roles, business and how CBI can support – supporting relationship development within the cohort and promoting wider CBI benefits.
- Maintain relationships with alumni through the alumni network, through quarterly newsletters and events with LBS.
Project and Budget Management
- Create and own project plan(s), with detailed tasks, agreed owner and delivery dates.
- Review and update plans regularly, identifying risks and issues and escalating to HoLP.
- Creating budgets and management of programme costs to budget.
Knowledge and Experience
What an individual must know or understand to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements.
- Communicating with and managing complex stakeholders, such as senior execs and sponsors.
- Sourcing and consolidating information from multiple sources and turning into briefing documents and presentations for a senior audience.
- Understanding of current policy issues and the policy initiatives of the CBI.
- Managing sales and marketing for a variety of events and CRM systems.
- Running email campaigns and advertising/promotion through social media.
- Commercially-minded, with budget management skills and a focus on delivering positive returns.
- Ambitious, able to take initiative and be a team player, with a positive and friendly approach.
- Interested in current affairs, including business and politics.
- Experience of Microsoft Dynamics CRM.
- Experience using Eloqua.
- Experience of working on leadership programmes or education initiatives.
- Good working knowledge of membership organisations.
The practical actions required to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements.
- Great attention to detail, strong planning and organisation skills and the ability to manage own workloads to agreed deadlines.
- First rate written communication skills; clear and concise with a focus on customers and outcomes.
- Advanced MS Office suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to communicate confidently and network with senior internal stakeholders, members and programme participants.
- Able to quickly understand complex issues and translate information into briefing materials and presentations.
- Copywriting skills for external communications.
- Experienced facilitator of / presenter at training sessions or meetings.
The behaviours and characteristics required to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements.
- Collaborative – Listening, seeking views and sharing information; constructively challenging when appropriate.
- Taking ownership – Ensuring delivery and holding others to account; can influence, irrespective of hierarchy.
- Agile – Proactive and responsive to provide a strong member service; responding positively to shifting priorities.
- Commercial – Awareness of the wider business environment.
- Innovative – Exploring, sharing and integrating best practice; generating new ideas and challenging a mind-set of “what we’ve always done”
- Analytical – gathering information and using logic to analyse, problem solve, evaluate risk and make decisions
At the CBI we recognise the advantages that flexible working patterns can bring. We’ll always fully consider flexible working and we will aim to facilitate different patterns of work wherever we can. We have great I.T. support which allows our people to work from a variety of locations, and we aim to strike the right balance between work and life.
How to apply
Please submit your CV & Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with 'Leadership Programme Executive' as the subject.