Salary – Up to £45k
Department – Human Resources
Process – Cover letter and C.V.
Deadline – 13th August 2021
Reporting to the HR Director, the L & D Manager is responsible for leading personal and team development across the CBI; designing and delivering development programmes which build people capability and support the CBI to meet its strategic objectives.
Both operational and strategic, this role covers the whole learning cycle; from learning needs analysis, design, coordination and delivery, through to evaluation. With additional HR team support, this is a hands-on and dynamic role and you will be responsible for ensuring the delivery of a professional, proactive, efficient and high-quality customer-focussed L & D service to the organisation.
Your role will be central in building a development strategy and putting in place development programmes to aid staff progression, engage and develop our staff and deliver our business strategy. This role entails working closely with the wider HR team and CBI management to provide leading edge learning and development solutions, which address organisational needs and drive the highest levels of employee engagement and performance excellence.
This role is in Band 4.
L & D strategy
- Develop and deliver a learning and development strategy which enhances the knowledge, skills and behaviours of staff to drive improved employee performance, enable progression and meet organisational goals
- Working closely with the HR Director, ensure leadership development, career pathways, experiences and progression opportunities are effective, inclusive and enable the CBI behaviours
- Lead and implement L & OD projects under the progression pillar of the Great Teams strategy
- Supported by the HRD, design and deliver a Leadership and management development strategy to support our new organisational strategy.
- Act as a point of expertise, offering credible L & D advice to internal stakeholders and HR colleagues in order to address development needs and aid staff progression
- In collaboration with HR Business Partners support, develop and coach the management team to take ownership for creating and embedding a talent development culture that enables improved performance.
Identifying development needs
- Effectively carry out the team development planning process with managers to identify and evaluate training needs at an individual, team and organisational level
- Monitor development need requests logged within our HR system and identify methods to meet those needs
- Analyse feedback and use insight to create the L & D strategy and training calendar.
Course and programme design and delivery
- Design innovative L & OD programmes to meet development needs across the business and enable the success of our organisational strategy– including the expansion of our digital learning offer
- Source and identify external provider content based on business needs
- Deliver internal training sessions where required, for example induction, performance management, soft skills development, management development
- Support and collaborate with facilitators and the wider HR team and business in the delivery of learning solutions
- Creation and management of a suite of products targeted at talent and leadership development
- Regular evaluation of L & D interventions, making and implementing recommendations for improvement of training, training materials and procedures
- Lead the content design and delivery of the CBI Induction.
Project management and reporting of L&D budgets and programme evaluation
- End to end project management of learning and OD projects
- Produce and maintain metrics related to attendance of programmes and spend against budget
- Supported by the wider team, produce reports and metrics to demonstrate the ROI of learning interventions.
- Work with the HR Director to carry out the budgeting process and manage the monitoring and controlling of departmental spend to ensure alignment with the assigned budget.
Managing L& D coordination
- Collaborate with HR support to schedule and administer all existing and new Learning & OD programmes
- Overseeing and supporting monitoring of the L&D inbox to ensure all queries are managed
- Preparation of training collateral when required
- Organise, produce, and maintain training materials and ensure they are updated
Direct reports: No
Financial budget: Yes
Below are the CBI skills and levels of skills expected for this role based on the pay band it sits within. View the CBI Skills Framework for further information, including descriptions and indicators of each skill.
Planning & organisation
Research & using information
Strategic & business thinking
Managing & leading others
Knowledge & Experience
What an individual must know or understand to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements
- A passion for learning and driving personal and professional growth
- Significant experience of working in a learning and development or similar environment and delivering a proactive service
- Solid experience of designing and delivering learning and development programs, which include a variety of training solutions to address talent management, management development, leadership development and soft skills training
- Understanding and experience of learning needs analysis, learning styles and implementing initiatives to address needs
- Experience of sourcing training providers, evaluating the success of learning initiatives and demonstrating ROI
- Experience of budget management
- Confident at delivering messages in a presentation style or leading group sessions
- An interest and experience in digital learning
- Good standard of IT knowledge, Word and PowerPoint, Excel
- Desirable - Professional qualification in learning and development.
The behaviours and characteristics required to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements
- Collaborative – Listening, seeking views and sharing information; constructively challenging when appropriate, seeks wider business input in design of L & OD interventions, works collaboratively with senior and middle managers on people issues, considers impact of work on wider team and business, collaborates with wider HR team and role models behaviours
- Taking ownership – Ensuring delivery and holding others to account; can influence, irrespective of hierarchy, takes ownership of problems and focuses on solutions, proactively and inclusively manages team deliverables
- Agile – Proactive and responsive to stakeholders, flexes project plans based on business priorities, resilient under pressure; responds positively to shifting priorities, Agile in balancing both proactive and reactive work, well organised with strong project management and time management skills
- Commercial – Awareness of the wider business environment and organisational strategy, understands the business benefit of good management and engaged people, can put a value on HR and L & D interventions
- Innovative – Exploring, sharing and integrating best practice; generating new ideas and challenging a mind-set of “what we’ve always done”, strong lateral thinking to identify innovative people solutions, looks at how to drive and create innovative and experiential learning solutions
- Analytical – gathering information and using logic to analyse, problem solve, evaluate risk and make decisions, good research and analytical skills to interpret Management Information and HR and L & OD data. Uses people insight to design L & OD strategy.
Diversity & Inclusion
At the CBI, we are committed to attracting diverse talent that represents the society we live in.
We encourage applications from all regardless of age, sexuality, socio-economic background, disability, ethnicity, gender, religion, or beliefs. We are committed to building a culture of belonging and inclusion and this is reflected in our policies, practices, and internal employee-led networks and supported by our executive leadership team.
We are a family friendly organisation, and we encourage flexible working as we want our employees to achieve a healthy work-life balance. Currently our employees are working flexibly (formally and informally) and remotely due to COVID-19, but we offer the opportunity to work in our offices in line with government guidance if somebody should need to.
Our employee-led networks are: Race and Ethnicity Equality, LGBT+ Allies Network, Women’s and Working Families and we have qualified Mental Health First Aiders who support our employees in having good mental health.
To apply press here