- Salary - £25,000 - £27,000 depending on experience.
- Deadline for applications – 16th April 2021.
- Candidates are required to provide a C.V and covering letter
The CBI is the UK’s leading business membership organisation. We provide our members with the influence, insight and access they need to plan ahead with confidence. We represent their views as we work with policymakers to deliver a healthy environment for businesses to succeed, create jobs and ultimately, drive economic growth and prosperity.
The role will be based at our Cannon Place office, but with hybrid working in mind, and will report into the Associate Director of SMEs. This role will support the relationships with the CBI’s SME member community. Key responsibilities include supporting an ambitious programme of events as part of the SME network event programme, providing account management support, following up on sales leads, enhancing our member service, supporting marketing & sales, content development, and enhancing communications with our members.
This is a fantastic opportunity to showcase your organisational, people and communication skills in a fast paced and varied role. You will need to be comfortable thinking on your feet and adapting to a changing, politically driven work environment. Most importantly, you will enjoy managing your own workload with minimal supervision and be able to prioritise tasks effectively.
- Prioritise, organise and maintain diaries and appointments with flexible approach to deal with the unexpected (e.g. diary conflict)
- Act as interface with offices of senior business, stakeholder and government contacts
- Support the Associate Director, co-ordinating workflow in their absence and ensuring colleagues take action
- Organise and co-ordinate meetings, ensuring effective time management of appointments and regularly communicate with Policy colleagues with regards to meetings arranged on their behalf
- Booking and arranging of travel and forward planning of logistics for all relevant meetings
Marketing & Sales
- Work with the Associate Director of SMEs and Head of Commercial to manage the relationship with the Marketing team, supporting the development of the marketing strategy/plan, including creation of marketing mailing lists and copy for marketing materials
- Building and maintaining relationships with CBI members and target members to facilitate the sales process and ensure future sales opportunities are maximised
- Follow up on sales leads, having conversations with members and prospective participants, articulating the objectives and business benefits of participating in the events programme
- Creating/maintaining leads and sales trackers, ensuring CRM is used effectively and kept up to date
Event Management & Support
- Contribute to the development of SME online event content/support materials, including briefing packs and slide presentations
- Co-ordinate guest speaker invitations for events, proactively managing the invite/booking process from start to finish
- Take ownership for communications for event participants, including joining instructions, logistical updates and module briefings
- Provide logistical and administrative support for a programme of policy events, networking opportunities and intelligence sharing. These include the CBI’s SME events programme and a range of standing and one-off events. This would include creating marketing lists, managing invites and RSVPs and on the day logistics.
- Provide support arranging and co-ordinating member and prospect meetings
Supporting best in class account management
- Driving increased membership retention and satisfaction of members, working closely with the Associate Director of SMEs, Director of Regions and Regional Teams
- Tracking engagement, policy developments, member news and issues of interest to members to inform lobbying strategy and briefings.
- Develop a strong understanding of the political and economic environment, assisting the Associate Director of SMEs’ role as the ‘go-to’ liaison point between SMEs and the CBI.
- Working with the Associate Director to ensure that CBI supports members’ business goals, as well as ensuring members are kept informed of CBI activities in areas of relevance, driving retention.
- Ensuring that the work of the team is uploaded to CBI internal communications systems (eg CRM)
- Managing internal comms between the team and other CBI functions – particularly our offices in the UK’s regions and nations – such as by sharing good practice collateral and providing meeting notes
- Helping to co-ordinate team external comms, member updates and social media presence
- Liaise with CBI finance team to assist with account management planning and invoicing
Knowledge & Experience
What an individual must know or understand to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements
- Understanding of current policy issues and the policy initiatives of the CBI
- Managing sales and marketing for a variety of events and CRM systems
- Events administration, communications and logistics
- Commercially-minded, with a focus on delivering positive returns
- Ambitious, able to take initiative and be a team player, with a positive and friendly approach
- Comfortable working in a virtual / online environment, including meeting / event facilitation and providing support for virtual meeting platforms (Webex, Microsoft Teams)
- Interested in current affairs, including business and politics
- Experience of working with SMEs
- Experience of Microsoft Dynamics CRM
- Good working knowledge of membership organisations
The practical actions required to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements
- Highly developed sense of professionalism: work ethic, sense of responsibility, resourcefulness, attention to detail
- Excellent personal and diplomatic skills and an ability to liaise effectively with people at all levels
- Ability to prioritise tasks and assess urgency of situations requiring executive action
- Experience of organising events
- Strong team working skills
- Self-starter and ability to work under pressure and use own initiative
- Communicating with and managing complex stakeholders, such as senior execs and sponsors
- Sourcing and consolidating information from multiple sources and turning into briefing documents and presentations for a senior audience
- Great attention to detail, strong planning and organisation skills and the ability to manage own workloads to agreed deadlines
- First rate written communication skills; clear and concise with a focus on customers and outcomes
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to communicate confidently and network with senior internal stakeholders, members and programme participants
- Able to quickly understand complex issues and translate information into briefing materials and presentations
- Copywriting skills for external communications
- Experienced facilitator of / presenter at training sessions or meetings
The behaviours and characteristics required to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements:
The successful candidate will be interested in business and current affairs and will have an excellent analytical ability to help them understand potential members and be able to put together targeted sales campaigns. They will be a confident communicator with an excellent business writing style.
They must be proactive, pragmatic and be able to meet tight deadlines while maintaining excellent attention to detail. They should have a flexible approach and enjoy working with other people. Experience of working in an account management environment, or an interest in developing account management capabilities, is strongly desirable. Above all they should have a positive ‘can-do’ attitude, the ability to manage multiple projects/demands at times and the professionalism to be a credible representative for the CBI.
- Collaborative – Listening, seeking views and sharing information; constructively challenging when appropriate
- Taking ownership – Ensuring delivery and holding others to account; can influence, irrespective of hierarchy
- Agile – Proactive and responsive to provide a strong member service; responding positively to shifting priorities
- Commercial – Awareness of the wider business environment
- Innovative – Exploring, sharing and integrating best practice; generating new ideas and challenging a mind-set of “what we’ve always done”
- Analytical – gathering information and using logic to analyse, problem solve, evaluate risk and make decisions
- Ensuring delivery and holding others to account; can influence, irrespective of hierarchy
- Exploring, sharing and integrating best practice; generating new ideas and challenging a mind-set of “what we’ve always done”
- Proactive and responsive to provide a strong member service; responding positively to shifting priorities
- Awareness of the wider business environment and commercial drivers
- Gathering information and using logic to analyse, problem solve, evaluate risk and make decisions
Diversity & Inclusion
At the CBI, we are committed to attracting diverse talent that represents the society we live in.
We encourage applications from all regardless of age, sexuality, socio-economic background, disability, ethnicity, gender, religion, or beliefs. We are committed to building a culture of belonging and inclusion and this is reflected in our policies, practices, and internal employee-led networks and supported by our executive leadership team.
We are a family friendly organisation and we encourage flexible working as we want our employees to achieve a healthy work-life balance. Currently our employees are working flexibly (formally and informally) and remotely due to COVID-19, but we offer the opportunity to work in our offices in line with government guidance if somebody should need to.
Our employee-led networks are: BAME, LGBT, Women’s and Working Families and we have qualified Mental Health First Aiders who support our employees in having good mental health.
If the above feels like an organisation that you would like to work for then we encourage you to apply and join our diverse workforce.
If you would like to apply please press here