Location – Birmingham or Nottingham
Salary range - £27,500 - £36,995
Applications without a covering letter will not be considered.
This role as Policy Adviser or Senior Policy Adviser (dependent on experience) will be based in either our Birmingham or Nottingham offices and will require regional travel in the future. The Regional Policy team based across England works with businesses and government at the national and regional level to ensure the business perspective is understood on topics such as transport, skills and closing the productivity gap. This role presents an exciting opportunity to shape policy as Westminster works to level up places and local government sets out plans to build back better in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The role offers the opportunity to work in close partnership with senior leaders to achieve shared prosperity, at the UK’s most influential business representative organisation. Reporting to the Head of Regional Policy and working with two Regional Directors the jobholder will be responsible for the CBI’s East and West Midlands regional policy work as well as work relevant to shaping the government’s levelling up agenda including:
- Consulting a diverse set of CBI members to identify business priorities to develop policy positions. This includes providing updates and seeking member input in meetings, roundtables and briefings
- Developing regional-specific policy campaigns i.e. mayoral manifestos ahead of mayoral elections based on pro-active member engagement, research and planning
- Leading civil servant and stakeholder engagement including developing relationships, updating stakeholder maps of decision makers and ensuring the CBI view is effectively communicated
- Distilling regional political and policy insight for CBI members so they can make more informed decisions and developing a compelling offer to encourage more businesses to join the CBI
- Collaborating with colleagues across the team and organisation to ensure consistency and coherence in our messages to decision makers and CBI member
Leading Midlands policy and campaigning work in addition to taking on national-regional projects focused on the regional productivity divide including
- Working with CBI members and colleagues to successfully implement regional policy campaigns i.e. mayoral manifestos while managing competing business and commercial interests
- Working on discrete projects (e.g. policy briefs, reports, consultation responses), using project management skills to track progress, manage risk and measure success
- Drafting and presenting papers for quarterly Regional Council meetings as well as presenting the CBI member view to external audiences
Building strong internal and external relationships in person and virtually including:
- Acting as point of contact at the CBI for members, staff, and other stakeholders on East and West Midlands regional policy and future national-regional projects, including advising your line manager and director, networking with stakeholders and helping to shape work i.e. event programmes
- Leading engagement with officials at the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government as well as West Midlands Combined Authority, Local Enterprise Partnerships, Midlands Engine and Midlands Connect including deputising for Regional Director where required
- Proactively working with colleagues across the team, region and organisation to fully exploit synergies with policy teams on topics such as infrastructure, innovation, education and skills, as well as commercial, membership and media opportunities
Knowledge & Experience
What an individual should know or understand to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements
- Strong knowledge of the policymaking process in UK government, regionally and locally
- Exceptional understanding of politics and enthusiasm for regional policy issues
- Familiarity and interest with the workings of business and commercial pressures
- Understanding and expertise required to start and build upon external stakeholder relationships
- Ability to work across different teams and as part of matrix to achieve shared aim
- Desirable: Knowledge and experience with East and West Midlands policy
- Desirable: Experience working on topics such as transport connectivity and education & skills
The practical actions required to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements
- Strong research and analytical skills – including quickly picking up new issues and concepts, crafting solutions and advising senior colleagues.
- Excellent oral and written communication – including the ability to communicate to a wide range of stakeholders and audiences.
- Influencing skills – including the ability to persuade policy makers of the benefits of working together with business to achieve joint aims.
- Good stakeholder management and interpersonal skills – including the ability to manage relationships with external stakeholders to maintain member satisfaction, and internal stakeholders to effectively coordinate the CBI’s wide range of regional policy work.
- Organisational skills - including overseeing complicated projects with multiple moving parts in a shifting external environment.
- High personal efficiency/productivity and flexibility, with the ability to work well in a team – including the ability to work in a fast-paced, pressured environment.
The behaviours and characteristics required to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements
- Collaborative – Listening, seeking views and sharing information; constructively challenging when appropriate
- Taking ownership – Ensuring delivery and holding others to account; can influence, irrespective of hierarchy
- Agile – Proactive and responsive to provide a strong member service; responding positively to shifting priorities
- Commercial – Awareness of the wider business environment
- Innovative – Exploring, sharing and integrating best practice; generating new ideas and challenging a mind-set of “what we’ve always done”
- Analytical – gathering information and using logic to analyse, problem solve, evaluate risk and make decisions
If you would like to apply for this role please press here.