Based at our South West office (Exeter), the CBI South West Team is responsible for providing our members with the influence, insight and access they need to plan ahead with confidence and grow. We represent our member views as we work with policymakers to deliver a healthy environment for businesses to succeed, create jobs and ultimately, drive economic growth and prosperity.
Reporting into the Regional Director, the Office Administrator will be responsible for managing the daily administrative tasks required to maintain an efficient office and to support the South West Team.
Providing PA support to the Regional Director:
- Prioritise, organise and maintain diaries and appointments with flexible approach to deal with the unexpected (e.g. diary conflict).
- Proactively flag to the director when member meetings are required and draft emails for the director to send.
- Act as the interface between the CBI and the offices of senior business and government contacts and the media.
- Support Director, co-ordinating workflow in their absence and ensuring colleagues take action.
- Organise and co-ordinate meetings, ensuring effective time management of appointments and regularly communicate with Director about meetings arranged on their behalf.
- Applying flexibility and accuracy regarding changed schedules.
- Booking and arrangement of travel and forward planning of logistics for the Director.
- Arrange member and target meetings.
- Collate briefings for meetings as needed.
- Act as membrain lead for the Director.
- Ensure all member records are kept up to date.
- Support the team in member communications e.g. support the Assistant Director complete the quarterly SW newsletter, update the website with events information.
South West Council (4 per year):
- Confirm dates for Council with the Director and CBI South West Chair.
- Working with the Director and Assistant Director to identify venues and book those venues for Council meeting.
- Provide the event organisation and co-ordinate for Council, adhering to the South West event planning process.
- Liaising with HQ over briefings and papers, edit these to ensure fit with SW agenda.
- Update Council membership.
- Provide co-ordination and management of the annual election process.
- Support the Assistant Director with Council minutes and ensure appropriate formatting.
Events & roundtables:
- Work closely with Events Manager to take on, lead, and manage a portfolio of events and roundtable debates (e.g. HR Forum, Women in Leadership, Food and Drink Forum).
- Support the Events Manager for larger scale events including CBI South West Annual Dinner, Annual Lunch, Innovation Conference and Economics Dinner.
- Office management - stationery, franking, accounts, health and safety.
- Liaising with building management and CBI facilities team.
- Working with the CBI Finance team to provide quarterly updates on office spend against budget target.
- Set up monthly team meetings including booking time in team member’s diaries, room booking.
- To work with the Director to set the agenda for the team meetings and to take timely and accurate minutes.
- To provide a weekly email update of activities achieved and activities planned going-forward.
- To manage the director’s expenses and ensure they are submitted in a timely manner.
The ideal candidate should be personable and possess at least three years’ experience working as an office administrator.
Knowledge and Experience
What an individual must know or understand to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements.
- Proven administrative skills.
- Excellent writing skills / correspondence.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent rapport and relationship building skills.
- Solution-focussed, resilient with a positive 'can-do’ attitude.
- Excellent organisational, planning and multi-tasking skills with a keen eye for detail.
- Excellent IT skills particularly with regard to MS Office 365 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint as well as online collaboration tools).
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to be adaptable and work flexibly within a team.
- Willingness to occasionally travel and stay overnight when business circumstances demand.
- Calm, professional manner.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to multitask.
- Organisational skills.
- Communication skills
- Social media skills / website communications.
- Understanding of business and interest in current affairs.
The behaviours and characteristics required to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements.
- Collaborative – Listening, seeking views and sharing information; constructively challenging when appropriate.
- Taking ownership – Ensuring delivery and holding others to account; can influence, irrespective of hierarchy.
- Agile – Proactive and responsive to provide a strong member service; responding positively to shifting priorities.
- Commercial – Awareness of the wider business environment.
- Innovative – Exploring, sharing and integrating best practice; generating new ideas and challenging a mind-set of “what we’ve always done”
- Analytical – gathering information and using logic to analyse, problem solve, evaluate risk and make decisions
At the CBI we recognise the advantages that flexible working patterns can bring. We’ll always fully consider flexible working and we will aim to facilitate different patterns of work wherever we can. We have great I.T. support which allows our people to work from a variety of locations, and we aim to strike the right balance between work and life.
How to apply
Please submit your CV & Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with 'Regional Administrator' as the subject.