This is a terrific opportunity to become part of a team working at the centre of UK business, politics and media at a uniquely interesting time.
Based primarily at our West Midlands office, the Regional Press Officer will report to the Deputy Head of News as part of a close-knit press, editorial & social media team in a busy and exciting press office. This role would suit someone looking for their second role in PR, who will provide support to deliver the full spectrum of the CBI’s media activity, across all platforms, including digital channels. Some nationwide travel will be required, and the post holder will spend three months in London at the beginning of their tenure.
- To increase the CBI’s regional media coverage by writing press releases, articles, statements, tweets and CBI materials for publication in regional media, on the CBI website and across social media.
- Working with policy teams to proactively seeking opportunities in regional and trade media for statements, articles and features, including for broadcasters.
- Handling day to day media enquiries, including arranging TV, radio and print interviews, and briefing regional journalists on CBI policies and related issues.
- Organising interviews, press conferences, photo calls, roundtables, including with member companies, including relevant briefing.
- Supporting the remainder of the media team in execution of key communication outputs and perhaps in time join the out of hours on call rota.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with media, as well as key internal and external stakeholders, including the Director-General, President, directors, regional directors, as well as CBI members, sponsors and government departments.
- Supporting the social media team in developing content for existing channels including Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, to ensure CBI messages reach a wide audience of key stakeholders.
Knowledge & Experience
What an individual must know or understand to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent.
- Proven starter experience in media relations, journalism or public affairs.
- Knowledge of national, regional, trade and digital/social media.
- Knowledge and understanding of current affairs/business, economic and political environment.
- Evidence of how this knowledge was acquired and put to practical use.
Role specific skills
The practical actions required to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements.
- Good organisational and team working skills.
- Excellent creative writing skills.
- Good all-round communicator.
- Sound judgement, strong news sense and political nous.
- Ability to create media opportunities – national, regional, online and digital – which help the organisation secure strong coverage.
- Ability to work under pressure/meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to work as a self-starter in a close-knit team.
- Ability to be flexible/ think laterally in problem solving.
The behaviours and characteristics required to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements.
- Collaborative – Listening, seeking views and sharing information; constructively challenging when appropriate.
- Taking ownership – Ensuring delivery and holding others to account; can influence, irrespective of hierarchy.
- Agile – Proactive and responsive to provide a strong member service; responding positively to shifting priorities.
- Commercial – Awareness of the wider business environment.
- Innovative – Exploring, sharing and integrating best practice; generating new ideas and challenging a mind-set of “what we’ve always done”
- Analytical – gathering information and using logic to analyse, problem solve, evaluate risk and make decisions
At the CBI we recognise the advantages that flexible working patterns can bring. We’ll always fully consider flexible working and we will aim to facilitate different patterns of work wherever we can. We have great I.T. support which allows our people to work from a variety of locations, and we aim to strike the right balance between work and life.
How to apply
Please submit your CV & Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with 'Regional Press Officer – West Midlands' as the subject.