Based in our Cannon Street head office, the Senior Associate Director role has front line responsibility for a portfolio of high value members - including both the retention and engagement of existing members and the recruitment of new companies. This is a one year fixed term contract (maternity cover).
- To manage the relationships with some of the largest and most important (strategic members) of the CBI. This portfolio of member companies will be one of the largest in the organisation (approx. £1.2m+)
- The Associate Director will have outstanding relationship development skills and will be able to navigate complex relationships and be able to quickly understand the key objectives for each member. This will include what the members want from their membership, that they are satisfied with the relationship, and that CBI policy, both nationally and regionally, reflects their concerns. The Senior Associate Director will be required to establish relationships at a senior level with members
- Strong management skill set. The role will have direct line reporting responsibilities for one junior to mid level experienced member of the commercial team, taking ownership of their performance and development
- To identify recruitment opportunities among current non-member companies and engage in the subsequent recruitment process, leading team pursuits, managing through pipe lines and closing efficiently
- Develop a good understanding of those issues impacting on the competitiveness of member companies and be able to articulate how the CBI can influence these policies to the benefit of our members
- The Associate Directors are the eyes and ears of the CBI, it is the job of the Associate Director to ensure that the CBI is gathering market intelligence and business concerns
- To contribute as a leading membership advocate to the development of policy across the CBI organisation
- Effectively communicating CBI policy positions and strategy to members and non-members, and by doing so ensuring a high CBI profile in the regions.
- Level of retention of existing members according to an annual target and positive relationships with member companies from their perspective
- Level of management skills and leadership behaviours
- Level of senior engagement in member companies
- Level of recruitment of new members according to an annual target
- Maintenance of the CBI’s profile and authority within the regions(s).
Knowledge and experience
What an individual must know or understand to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements.
- Relevant degree/professional qualification or equivalent
- Experience in an account management field dealing with senior business people
- Demonstrate understanding of the principles of account management
- Understanding of the economic, social and other pressures on business.
The practical actions required to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements.
- Relevant business background
- Understanding of sales and marketing from a business to business context
- IT literate and willingness to learn new systems
- Self-motivated and proactive
- Possess sound judgement on membership issues
- First class networking skills
- Ability to develop good working relationships with internal and external customers.
The behaviours and characteristics required to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements.
- Collaborative – Listening, seeking views and sharing information; constructively challenging when appropriate
- Taking ownership – Ensuring delivery and holding others to account; can influence, irrespective of hierarchy
- Agile – Proactive and responsive to provide a strong member service; responding positively to shifting priorities
- Commercial – Awareness of the wider business environment
- Innovative – Exploring, sharing and integrating best practice; generating new ideas and challenging a mind-set of “what we’ve always done”
- Analytical – gathering information and using logic to analyse, problem solve, evaluate risk and make decisions.
Equal opportunity employer
Our aim is to create prosperity for all. To do that well, we need a workforce that is more representative of the businesses we serve.
We know through experience that different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds create a stronger and more innovative work environment that delivers better results. To support an inclusive environment where employees feel empowered to share their experiences and ideas, we’ve encouraged the creation of a variety of Employee Resource Groups - Women, LGBT+, BAME and Working Families.
We recognise the many benefits flexible working can bring. Many of our employees work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking and will accommodate where possible.
How to apply
Please submit your CV and cover letter to email@example.com with ‘Senior Associate Director’ as the subject.