The Senior Economist role within the Economic Policy team is a high profile, influential and exciting opportunity at the heart of the CBI, the UK’s leading business organisation. The CBI speaks on behalf of the business community with over 190,000 businesses in its network. With a changing relationship with the EU and an uncertain global environment, the UK economy and business community faces many challenges.
You'll shape the direction and the delivery of CBI economic policy positions, leading on regulation and competition policy. The role involves regular engagement with government officials to advocate these positions and discuss policies. The role also involves regular engagement with business leaders, executive boards and other business decision-makers to form CBI positions and share intelligence on current economic trends and the policy landscape. The individual will be based in our London office, reporting to the Principal Economist in the Economic Policy team.
Regulation and competition policy;
- Lead and develop CBI positions on the future of good regulation and competition policy from a cross-sectoral perspective
- Keep up to date with the changing competition landscape, reviewing and responding to government policy documents relating to competition policy, setting out the CBI position
- Develop strong relationships with senior government officials and CBI members on CBI policy positions.
Fiscal and economic analysis;
- Support the Principal Economist with robust micro-economic analysis to help formulate CBI policy positions and build evidence to support them, working with colleagues to provide key economic insight
- Support the Principal Economist with policy costings leading up to fiscal events
- Contribute to the delivery of effective Budget submissions which reflect the broad views of CBI members and take account of the economic, fiscal and political context
- Support CBI commercial objectives by leading on the delivery of be-spoke analysis and sponsored reports.
Working with others;
- Building a strong working relationship with government officials, politicians and think tanks, showing the CBI as a highly credible, trusted voice
- Maximise our offering to CBI members and targets through our work, including exploring commercial opportunities through the products and services we provide
- Strong outreach to CBI members across the country
- Collaborate with policy, commercial and communications teams to support organisation-wide goals.
Knowledge and experience
What an individual must know or understand to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements.
- Degree in Economics or related subject with minimum two years’ experience as a professional economist
- Keen interest in economic policy and regulation and competition policy
- Awareness of politics and government
- Strong quantitative skills with experience using Excel for data analysis and economic modelling
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to negotiate and reach mutual agreement with others
- Ability to work autonomously and manage project workstreams.
- Understanding of the current regulation and competition policy landscape
- Technical skills on fiscal accounting, cost-benefit analysis or macroeconomic modelling.
The behaviours and characteristics required to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements.
- Collaborative – Listening, seeking views and sharing information; constructively challenging when appropriate
- Taking ownership – Ensuring delivery and holding others to account; can influence, irrespective of hierarchy
- Agile – Proactive and responsive to provide a strong member service; responding positively to shifting priorities
- Commercial – Awareness of the wider business environment.
- Innovative – Exploring, sharing and integrating best practice; generating new ideas and challenging a ind-set of “what we’ve always done”
- Analytical – gathering information and using logic to analyse, problem solve, evaluate risk and make decisions
At the CBI we recognise the advantages that flexible working patterns can bring. We’ll always fully consider flexible working and we will aim to facilitate different patterns of work wherever we can. We have great I.T. support which allows our people to work from a variety of locations, and we aim to strike the right balance between work and life.
How to apply
Please submit your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with 'Senior Economist' as the subject.