The Senior Tax Policy Adviser role within the Economic Policy team is a high profile, influential and exciting opportunity at the heart of the CBI, the UK’s leading business organisation. The CBI speaks on behalf of the business community with over 190,000 businesses in its network. With a changing relationship with the EU and an uncertain global environment, the UK economy and business community faces many challenges.
You'll shape the direction and the delivery of CBI tax policy positions, leading projects of a reactive and pro-active nature. The role involves regular engagement with government officials to advocate these positions and discuss policies. The role also involves regular engagement with heads of tax, business leaders, executive boards and other business decision-makers to form CBI positions and share intelligence on the tax policy landscape. The individual will be based in our London office, reporting to the Principal Tax Advisor.
- Lead CBI policy on the overall UK tax system, including corporation tax; employment tax and the administration of tax
- Lead a pro-active project on the tax system in a modern economy
- Co-ordinate and draft consultation responses to relevant UK government consultations on tax
- Provide a constructive and effective voice for business in the public tax debate
- Secretariat for the CBI’s Employment Taxes working, comprising of employment tax leads from member companies
- Manage senior stakeholder relations with HMRC, HMT, and professional bodies amongst others.
Fiscal and economic policy
- Contribute to the delivery of effective Budget submissions which reflect the broad views of CBI members
- Develop strong relationships with senior government officials and CBI members on CBI policy positions
- Lead on and assist with topical projects on current CBI policy issues.
- Building a strong working relationship with government officials and ministers, and think tanks, showing the CBI as a highly credible, trusted voice.
- Maximise our offering to CBI members and targets through our work, including exploring commercial opportunities through the products and services we provide.
- Strong outreach to CBI members across the country.
- Collaborate with policy, commercial and communications teams to support organisation-wide goals.
Knowledge and experience
What an individual must know or understand to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements.
- Tax knowledge developed as a result of working in industry, practice or policy environment (3 years +).
- Keen interest in tax and economic policy with an awareness of politics and government
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to negotiate and reach mutual agreement with others
- Ability to work autonomously and manage project work streams.
- ACA, CTA or ATT qualified.
The behaviours and characteristics required to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements.
- Collaborative – Listening, seeking views and sharing information; constructively challenging when appropriate.
- Taking ownership – Ensuring delivery and holding others to account; can influence, irrespective of hierarchy.
- Agile – Proactive and responsive to provide a strong member service; responding positively to shifting priorities.
- Commercial – Awareness of the wider business environment.
- Innovative – Exploring, sharing and integrating best practice; generating new ideas and challenging a mind-set of “what we’ve always done”
- Analytical – gathering information and using logic to analyse, problem solve, evaluate risk and make decisions
Equal opportunity employer
Our aim is to create prosperity for all. To do that well, we need a workforce that is more representative of the businesses we serve.
We know through experience that different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds create a stronger and more innovative work environment that delivers better results. To support an inclusive environment where employees feel empowered to share their experiences and ideas, we’ve encouraged the creation of a variety of Employee Resource Groups - Women, LGBT+, BAME and Working Families.
We recognise the many benefits flexible working can bring. Many of our employees work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking and will accommodate where possible.
How to apply
Please submit your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with 'Senior Tax Policy Adviser' as the subject.