UK businesses are operating in an uncertain political environment. Being able to navigate these challenges and communicate your messages in a clear, impactful and persuasive way to influence the policy debate has never been greater.
Whether it’s ongoing Brexit uncertainty, a new Prime Minister entering Downing Street, or the prospect of a snap general election, businesses across the UK are operating in a volatile and uncertain political environment. With political discourse coarsening, the challenge for businesses to communicate their message and make their voice heard is becoming ever greater.
Drawing on the experience and expertise of the CBI’s campaigns team, this one-day workshop will provide you with insight into the key developments in the UK’s political landscape, helping you to develop a strategy for your business to navigate these trends.
Sharing some of the tools and techniques of the CBI uses in its headline campaigns, this workshop will analyse how the political and campaigning environments have evolved, the key steps in planning your campaign and how to execute your strategy effectively to achieve your campaign goals.
Who should attend?
This is an introductory-level programme suitable for those new to public affairs or government affairs teams or for whom campaigning is a new area of responsibility. It will provide an excellent orientation and grounding in core techniques and methodologies as well as sharing the learnings of CBI.
All CBI members and non-members are welcome. Suitable for anyone looking to influence the government agenda directly or through their teams (Government Affairs, Public Affairs, Communications and Public Relations)
Those likely to benefit from attending include:
- Campaigns officer
- Policy officer
- External affairs officer
- Government affairs officer
- Public affairs officer
- Communications executive
- SME owner/proprietor
At the end of this workshop you will understand:
- The key developments in the political and campaigning environments and what these mean for your business
- The processes involved in developing and executing successful plans
- Best practice to help you tell your story in the most impactful way
- Maxine Bligh, Director - Leadership Programmes, CBI
- John Foster, Director of Campaigns, CBI
- Callum Biggins, Head of Campaigns, CBI
- Pete McManus, Principal Campaigns Adviser, CBI
09:30 - 10:00 Registration and refreshments
10:00 - 10:30 Welcome and introduction
10:30 - 11:30 Why is campaigning important for business?
- UK political environment – understanding the external environment, key trends and what it means for business
- SWOT/ PEST
11:30 - 11:45 Break
11:45 - 12:45 Planning your campaign
- Why planning is important
- 4 Tests – alignment with corporate strategy, defining objectives, developing a plan, what does success look like
- Campaign building blocks
- Defining your audience
- Selecting your channel
12:45 - 13:30 Networking lunch
13:30 - 15:15 Executing your campaign
- Overton window
- Stakeholder engagement mapping
- Relationship management
- Influencing Parliament
- Social media
15:15 - 16:00 Putting all into practice (task)
- Interactive task (can be individual or group-based)
15:30 - 16:00 Q&A & reflections
Arm yourself with the intelligence that your business really needs to make better decisions.
Book your place today.
CBI Members are entitled to a membership discount. If you don't have a promotion booking code please contact your CBI Account Manager.
Not a CBI Member:
This event is open to non-members as per the ticket pricing.
However, why not consider joining? See the benefits of becoming a CBI member here.
Can’t make this workshop? Don’t worry, we can also run this session in house, bespoke to your organisation – if this is of interest please contact Maxine.firstname.lastname@example.org