20 June 2016

  |  CBI Press Team

News

Facebook Director to Chair CBI Technology Group

Facebook’s UK and Ireland Managing Director, Steve Hatch, has been appointed to Chair the CBI’s Technology (or “Tech”) Group.

Facebook Director to Chair CBI Technology Group

The Tech Group champions technology businesses operating in the UK, and works to place the sector – and its growing impact on productivity, growth and job creation – at the heart of the British economy. It does this by demonstrating the wider benefits of tech to suppliers, customers and employees across sectors and industries. It also creates a regulatory and business environment that supports tech, start-up, scale-up and disruptive business models.

Recent research by the CBI and IBM found that a digital divide is opening up across the British economy, with just over half (55%) of “pioneer” firms adopting digital technologies and processes, while the other half (45%) are falling behind. The Group will focus on several key themes in 2016 – from digital infrastructure and improving tech skills, to data & digitisation and regulation – and use high-profile platforms to continue to put tech at the centre of the wider business community.

Carolyn Fairbairn, CBI Director-General, said:

“I’m delighted to have Steve working alongside my team as Chair of the Tech Group.

“His strategic approach and extensive experience make him particularly well placed to represent this booming, rapidly expanding sector of the British economy, and to help the CBI navigate the many opportunities it represents.

“Technology offers unparalleled possibilities to improve productivity and drive growth, but too many firms are still not tapping into its potential. The Tech Group will come up with innovative ideas to create a supportive environment in which all businesses and sectors can thrive, get on the road to exporting and deliver benefits across the supply chain.”

Steve Hatch, Managing Director UK & Ireland, Facebook, said:

“I am honoured to become Chair of the CBI Tech Group at such an exciting and transformative time. During my time at Facebook I’ve seen first-hand how the rapid acceleration of technology, particularly mobile, has created a major revolution in the way we connect today.

“The UK is a fast innovating market and I’m excited to meet and work with British businesses both small and large to help them realise the potential of technology, whether it be the pure tech companies or businesses from all sectors using technology to grow.”

Appointed Facebook’s first Managing Director for the UK and Ireland in March 2014, Steve manages business operations across the two countries. In that period, he has evolved the platform, driving the rise of video consumption, and the commercialization of Instagram.

Prior to joining Facebook, Steve worked at Y&R, Omnicom and WPP, where he spent 15 years, with his final role being CEO of MEC.

The CBI Tech Group forms part of the CBI’s national policy making committee, signing off all CBI’s public policy positions. The Group also plays a vital role in promoting the interests of technology businesses and ensuring the sector’s business voice is heard in Westminster, Whitehall, Brussels and beyond.