When a young person has four or more encounters with an employer, they are five times less likely to be unemployed in their adult life. But these life-changing opportunities are not equally available to all students. A school in the shadow of Canary Wharf is likely to have access to a dozen law and accountancy firms, while a school in Great Yarmouth is likely to have significantly fewer choices when it comes to experiencing the world of work.
Employers tell us they want to do more, but struggle with where to start, and are unsure about how to make their encounters with young people meaningful. We’re working to change this.
Why engage with education?
- Nurture your future talent pipeline
- Connect with young people and help them prepare for the working world
- Cement your firm’s value in your community and overall contribution to society.
How can your business get involved?
The CBI is preparing a toolkit to help firms understand the tangible steps you can take to make a difference. In the meantime, there are actions we recommend every business undertakes to engage with education:
- Assess the ways your business can tangibly offer support to schools and colleges. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Offer students work experience or T Level work placements
- Mentor school leaders
- Help develop the curriculum to cater it more towards work-readiness skills.
- Connect with your local Careers and Enterprise Company coordinator to be matched with schools that will most benefit from your initiatives.
- Pledge your commitment to supporting the schools, colleges and young people in your area who would benefit most.
What can you do? Engage with young people on specific issues
There are intermediary organisations who can connect you to schools, colleges and young people.
If you’re looking to give a talk at your local school, visit Speakers for Schools.
If you want to inspire the next generation of entrepreneurs, visit Founders4Schools.
If you want to offer work experience places to young people, contact Workfinder.
If you want to host a teacher and help bring STEM careers to life, visit STEM Learning.
Get involved with our work
We’re developing an online toolkit to help connect businesses with their local schools and colleges. If you’re a CBI member, get involved and help us shape a better partnership between business and education.