This paper champions the importance of continued UK-EU cooperation in all sectors of the economy; and explores the role business can play in shaping a successful Europe.
Strong cooperation between the UK and EU has positioned the UK as the second largest export market for the EU with 5.8 million EU jobs now linked to UK-EU trade. As the new relationship develops, it is important that UK-EU collaboration delivers for business and citizens.
A strong and open Europe
The new EU mandate has marked a clear commitment to overcoming the key challenges we face today, whether that is fighting climate change, developing our digital economies and our relations with rising global powers. British business stands ready to overcome these challenges alongside the EU.
The CBI’s new paper – Working Together: CBI priorities for a strong and open Europe – outlines the key policy areas the next EU mandate must address to ensure success. Business recommendations are framed around the key themes of:
- A connected Europe
- A sustainable Europe
- An innovative Europe
- A prosperous Europe
- A global Europe
What we’re calling for
- The EU to build on the success of the Single Market to ensure businesses can thrive and consumers feel the rewards
- The EU to ensure a strong commitment to the net-zero target by 2050
- The EU to continue to build a competitive Digital Single Market
- The EU to put corporates at the heart of decision making
- The EU and UK to remain the closest internal partners to protect and promote our fundamental shared interests.
The recommendations identified demonstrate British business’ resolute commitment to play a positive and constructive role in turning the challenges currently facing the EU into opportunities over the next five years.