02 November 2020
Dame Carolyn Fairbairn, CBI Director-General, said:
“As firms reel from the body blow of Lockdown 2, the words of support for business from both parties at the CBI conference are necessary and welcome.
“Both Alok Sharma and Sir Keir Starmer committed to back firms through the crisis and set out a vision of a low carbon, high-skilled, high tech future powered by enterprise. This is a vision business shares.
“But actions will speak louder than words. Political division has escalated alarmingly, eroding confidence and risking the recovery. Fast further financial support is essential to bridge to growth.
“And more is needed to create, not just protect jobs. The launch of a National Commission for Economic Recovery can bring business, government, unions, and education together.”
Five key steps will help the UK economy weather the winter storm of Lockdown 2:
1. Keep business as open as possible now that workplaces are covid-secure
2. Give assurance that financial and employment support will be in place for as long as needed
3. Have a clear and transparent exit strategy to lift the lockdown
4. Roll out mass testing for business without delay
5. Have business involved in advance to support insight and decision-making.